Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Just One Second

I used to be a huge sweet tea drinker, but in the past few years, I've turned my attention (and desire) to herbal tea.  Once I discovered that the body processes herbal tea a lot like water, I determined I needed to make the change.  I can't tell you how glad I am that I did.

Unlike most people, however, when I brew my own tea, I enjoy mixing the different flavors.  A few bags of green tea.  A couple of bags of white tea.  How about some chamomile, peppermint or vanilla?  Sure, throw it in there.  Two coffee pots later, I have a gallon of herbal tea to sweeten with stevia and place in the refrigerator.  Mmm, refreshing!

Unfortunately, I awoke this morning to an empty tea pitcher.  The weekend had been so busy and chaotic that I had run out and not had the time (or energy) to make more.  So I filled the coffee pot with water and the basket with tea bags and went about my work.  As I went to pour the first batch into the tea pitcher, a movement outside the window caught my eye.  I looked up for the briefest of seconds, and in that instant, the tea went everywhere.  Somehow, in that split second, I had moved the pot enough that I was pouring the tea all over the counter.  And that tea, of course, had the nerve to run all over the floor.

Frustrated with my lack of attention and the mess I had made, I grabbed some paper towels and began to clean up the liquid.  "How did that happen?" I asked myself.  "I only turned my eyes away for a second.  It was just a second!  How did I manage to make such a big mess in so little time?"  And with that, I knew I had a lesson for today.

It only takes one second of turning our eyes away from the Lord to get ourselves in big trouble.  We don't need hours, days or weeks to make a mess of our lives.  One second is all it takes.  One second to say, "I've got this, Lord!"  One second to make the wrong choice.  One second to say a hurtful word.  One second to turn your back on someone who needs you.  Just one second!  That thought tends to drive home the importance of keeping our eyes on Jesus and following in His footsteps.  Only that will prevent us from making a huge mess.

What are you looking at today?

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Dana, straight to the point and a very strong message ... thank you.