Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

No, I'm Not Bipolar - Repost


A few days ago, a friend and I were discussing Winnie the Pooh characters. (Don't ask me why!) I told her that my favorite characters were Tigger and Eeyore. She looked at me the same way people always do when I make that statement. In fact, one day when I went to my chiropractor, I was wearing a Tigger sweatshirt and carrying an Eeyore handbag. The chiropractor looked from my shirt to my bag then back to my shirt and said, "What? Are you bipolar?" We had a good laugh.

You see, people don't expect that someone could like Tigger and Eeyore both. Why? Because they're total opposites. Eeyore is gloomy and wouldn't know a good thing if it bit him in the behind. Tigger, on the other hand, is flouncy, trouncy, pouncy, etc. He doesn't know what it means to have a bad day. So how can I like them both? I think that Eeyore reminds me a lot of myself. I know on the outside, I look like a happy-go-lucky person, but often, I am neither happy nor lucky. Sometimes I'm downright gloomy. Many times I feel that dark cloud is following me no matter where I go.

In contrast, Tigger reminds me of what I want to be and what I should be according to Philippians 4:4 which says, Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Always? Yes, always! Even when the rain is pouring? Yes, always! Even when things seem like they couldn't get worse? Yes, always. No, we may not be bouncing off the walls, but we should be able to lift our voices toward Heaven and say, "God's been good."

Today, choose your role model. Tigger or Eeyore? For while we can like both characters, we can't be like both. We must make a choice.

Do you think I'll look good in stripes?

No comments: