Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Prison of Want

I read a compelling devotion this morning about being a prisoner of want. As I meditated on what I had read, I began to think about the many things that I want, and believe it or not, I was amused. Why? Simply because of the list of things that popped into my head when I thought about my many desires in life. Here are just a few:

I want a fatter wallet and a thinner body.
I want more family time and less stress.
I want more income and less work.
I want a higher status and a lower amount of pride.
I want greater strength and fewer struggles.
I want warmer temperatures in the winter and cooler temperatures in the summer.

More, less. Greater, fewer. Warmer, cooler. In short, I don't know what I want. And when you boil it all down, it seems like I want the exact opposite of what I have. I want something for nothing and to be someone I'm not. As these thoughts rolled around in my head this morning, I was reminded of a verse that has popped up quite frequently of late.

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple. – Psalm 27:4
This verse reminds me that it's okay to have desires, as long as those desires are the proper ones. We spend so much time and energy seeking after the things in this life that we think will make us happy when all along the only thing that can give us true joy is readily available. Instead of seeking for wealth, fame, time or energy, we should devote all of our resources to seeking the Lord and His will for our lives. According to Matthew 6, when we do, everything else will fall into its proper place.

Are you living in a prison of want today? Do you feel burdened by the things that you don't have? If so, may I remind you that Jesus is not only the source of joy but joy itself.  The Lord is our Shepherd. What else could we possibly desire? How can we live in the prison of want when Jesus has provided all that we need and more?

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. - Matthew 6:33

No comments: