Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Daily Walk

Over the past couple of weeks, I've tried to get back in the habit of walking every morning.  I don't know why I waited until the heat of the summer to do this, but as the old saying goes, there's no time like the present.  So, each morning, I pull my sleepy body from the bed, force myself to get dressed and head out the door.  To be honest, at first, I'm quite grumpy.  I like my bed.  I covet more sleep.  I'd rather snuggle with my dogs than sweat out on the trail.  That is, until I reach the trail.  It's an amazing transformation, but as soon as my feet hit the trail, I'm energized and excited about my walk.

I typically walk anywhere from two to four miles each day depending on what time I get started, how busy my day is and how I'm feeling.  And the entire time I walk, I pray.  Despite the passersby on the trail, as far as I'm concerned, it's just God and I.  I pour out my heart.  I confess my sins.  I make my requests.  And I listen as He speaks to me.  Most days, I'm so caught up in my prayer time that I reach the trail's end before I even realize how far I've walked.  It's a glorious way to start the morning!

As I started back in my routine, I was reminded how out of shape I was.  For the first several days, my body hurt from head to toe.  My muscles were stiff and achy.  My flexibility was nonexistent.  My joints seemed locked.  At times, I even wondered why I was punishing myself so much, but then, my body began adjusting itself to the new routine.  My muscles started working out their kinks, and my joints began to lubricate and move smoothly.  Before long, I felt better than I had in months, and the only thing that had changed was the addition of my morning walks.

On the morning I first noticed my improved state of being, I thought to myself, Hmm, I guess a daily walk does more good than I first thought.  And the truth is, it does.  Walking is excellent for the body, the mind and the soul.  And the great thing about a prayer walk is that I can have my daily walk for my body and my daily walk with the Lord all at the same time.  And let me tell you, it does make a world of difference.  However, I will also warn you that as the day progresses, the body begins to protest.  The joints and muscles began to ache again.  For me, the hours of sitting at the desk began to take their toll, and my body screams for another rejuvenating walk.

The same can be said in our spiritual walk.  While it's great to set aside time in the morning to be with the Lord, we need more.  As the old gospel song says, "A daily walk is not enough, I need you every step I take."  If we have our daily walk with the Lord in the morning and then ignore Him the rest of the day, guess what's going to happen.  Our spiritual muscles and joints are going to ache.  Our spirit will get locked up.  The hours of battling the devil and the world will began to take its toll. 

A daily walk (both physical and spiritual) is an excellent way to start the day, but it's insufficient to get us through the day.  For that, we need to be walking with the Lord all day, every day.  Every step we take.  Every decision we make.  Every task we perform.  Hand in hand with the Lord.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? - Micah 6:8

No comments: