Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, June 23, 2014

Follow the Leader


On Friday mornings, I go to Falls Park for my weekly "date" with the Lord. This worship time is different than my everyday devotions. It's special somehow. It's just me and the Lord. No distractions. No interruptions. Sometimes I read. Sometimes I speak. And sometimes I just listen. Whatever the situation, I come home feeling refreshed and renewed.

Last Friday, as I was about to leave the serenity of the park, I sat on the bench for a few minutes watching the ducks and geese that had gathered on the water. They played and fought. They swam and dove. It was a lot of fun just watching them. (And I promise you that one of the ducks said, "Bless you" when I sneezed. Weird!)

After a little while, one of the largest of the geese stood and began walking in the direction from which it had flown in. Within seconds, a long line of geese had formed behind him. In one straight line, like a class of school children, they followed the leader. When he walked, they walked. When he swam, they swam. If he swerved, they were right behind him, following his every move.

Then suddenly, he stopped. He stood and looked around him as if he had lost his direction. He glanced to his left and then to his right. Still, he didn't move. He just looked around. Beginning at the back of the line, geese began to turn around and swim back to the area they had just left. I could almost hear their discussion. "What are we following this guy for? He doesn't even know where he's going. Come on. I saw some tasty bugs back this way."

One by one the geese swam away, leaving the "lead goose" standing alone and looking unsure of what to do next. In a way, I felt sorry for him. However, another part of me was thinking, You know, you really should have told them you didn't know where you were going. Then they wouldn't have followed you to begin with.

Aren't you glad that our Guide knows where He's going? Isn't it comforting to know that we aren't following blindly after someone who may end up lost in the long run? As I go through life, whether I be walking or swimming, running or crawling, I can rest assured that my Leader will get me home. If I follow in His footsteps, I will never be led astray.

I shared the joy over this reminder with a duck and a pigeon who wandered close to me in search of food. They didn't seem impressed. If only they knew what they were missing!

Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go. - Isaiah 48:17
 

**** Excerpt from my newest Christian Living book, Daily Discussions of a Doubting Disciple.  Lord willing, the book will be available for purchase at the beginning of July. ****


No comments: