Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, June 26, 2014

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Wonder Woman?

Have you ever dreamed of being a superhero?  I'm not necessarily talking about leaping tall buildings in a single bound or getting the truth from someone who is held fast in the grip of your lasso, although those super powers would be nice to have.  But how about leaping tall piles of laundry, performing your job, fending off negative thoughts and attitudes, shopping, cooking, cleaning, paying bills, exercising and still having enough energy at the end of the day to spend quality time with your family and friends?  Now those are some super powers worth having!

Unfortunately, most days I don't resemble Wonder Woman (and I'm not talking about the clothes; I never resemble that!)  Outside of our shared ability to communicate with animals (we've discussed this previously), Wonder Woman and I have little in common.  In fact, if I were to be named a superhero, I believe the appropriate title would be Wander Woman.  Yep, that's me, wandering aimlessly through life, hoping that I've made the right choices and that I'm still walking the right path.

Robert Robinson said it best in his popular hymn, Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing--"prone to wander, Lord, I feel it; prone to leave the God I love."  I don't mean to wander off.  I long to be Wonder Woman, not Wander Woman, but I find that instead of leaping tall buildings (yes, I know that was Superman, but it works, so bear with me), I leap to conclusions.  Instead of lassoing the truth out of someone else, I can't seem to be honest with myself.  And instead of fending off the deadly darts of the devil with my indestructable bracelets (the Word of God), I find myself worrying about the next attack and the next one and the next one.  Some superhero, huh?

Let's face it, I'll never be Wonder Woman.  No matter how much I desire to be the perfect wife, homemaker, writer, friend, etc., I can only be what God intends for me to be.  Yes, I can always strive to do better, but with realistic expectations in view, like we talked about a few days ago.  The sooner I stop lamenting who I'm not, the sooner I can focus on being who I am and who God wants me to be.

In the meantime, I can take comfort in the fact that, while I'm not a superhero, I belong to One who is.  He can do far more than all other superheroes combined.  He is loyal and true, strong and brave, loving and just.  And beyond all of that, He's on my side, which means that I can't lose.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to polish my tiara and wind up my lasso. . . and I think I'll grab my compass too, just in case Wonder Woman decides to become Wander Woman again.  Around my house, you just never know!

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? - Romans 8:31

No comments: