Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, June 27, 2014

May the Force Be With You

While walking the dogs yesterday morning, I saw the coolest thing.  At first, it looked to be a single flower, floating in mid-air, hovering three feet above the asphalt.  As I approached to get a closer look at this strange phenomenon, I realized that the flower wasn't floating but was caught in a single strand of a spider's web.  Only upon closer inspection and when the sun hit the web just right did I notice the web.  The rest of the time, all I could see was the flower, being held there by some invisible force.

We, Christians, are like that flower, for we too are held up by an invisible force. . . or at least we should be.  When the world looks at us from a distance, they see a person not unlike themselves.  But upon closer inspection, they should notice that there is something different about us.  This difference is what makes us capable of laughing and crying at the same time.  It is this force that is responsible for our ability to face challenges of gigantic proportions and to walk away unscathed.

Many Christians have been observed and then asked, "How do you do it?"  It's a logical question, as are these:  How do most Christians deal so well with the loss of a loved one?  How do most Christians battle daily financial battles and still find reasons to smile?  How do most Christians grow better rather than bitter after severe disappointments?  For each and every question, the answer is the same--we are upheld by an invisible force.  His name is Jesus.  He is our strength and our peace.  Without Him, we could do nothing.

Without His invisible force leading us and giving us strength, we would fall.  The flower I saw could not have remained airborne of its own accord.  No matter how much it wished to fly, no matter how hard it tried to stay afloat, without the invisible force of the web, it was doomed to fall.  We are the same.  Our strength is insufficient.  Our abilities are lacking.  Yes, our only hope of rising above the circumstances of life is to allow the invisible force of God's love and goodness to lift us up.

And so, my friend, as Yoda would say, "May the Force be with you."

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. - II Corinthians 12:9


**** Excerpt from my newest Christian Living book, Daily Discussions of a Doubting Disciple. Lord willing, the book will be available for purchase at the beginning of July. ****


No comments: