Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Envelope Bursting With Blessing

As you may recall, I've been in the process of working on several devotional books.  A few weeks ago, I finally finished the tedious chore of sorting through the various devotions and placing them in the correct book file.  For the past couple of weeks, I've been working on bringing one of those books to completion by means of editing, formatting, etc.  Lord willing, it will be ready in the next couple of days.

However, for the past week or so, I've also been worrying (I know you find that difficult to believe).  You see, with the time-consuming part of this process finished, I hope to be turning out new books rather quickly.  The only problem is that each of these books will need an illustrated cover, and illustrated covers cost a lot of money.  Just to give you an idea, the cover for Random Ramblings of a Raving Redhead cost $250.  That's a lot of money from my viewpoint, and when I considered that I needed six of them in pretty short order, I grew discouraged.

"I don't get it," I told Jason, "I'm doing the very thing the Lord wants me to do.  I'm sure of it.  But I don't have the money to see the books through to publication.  What's the point of writing them and going through all the work to get them ready for publication if I'm not going to be able to see the process through to the end?  It seems like such a waste of time and effort."

I was truly confused.  On the one hand, I knew I was in the Lord's will.  On the other hand, I couldn't figure out how things were going to work out.  I didn't have the money for six new covers.  I didn't even have the funds for one new cover at $250.  So, I prayed.  I poured out my heart.  I voiced my confusion.  And I made a request.  "Lord, if you really want me to get these covers done so that I can get these books published, please help me to find a good illustrator who will do the work for $25 each."  Yes, I know it was a ridiculously low price compared to what I know illustrated covers go for, but I also know that I serve a big God.  If He could part the Red Sea, surely He could accomplish this task, right?

YES, HE CAN. . . AND HE DID!  I found an extremely talented illustrator who agreed to do the entire cover illustration for $25.  He's working on the first cover right now, and it's coming along quite nicely.  But God didn't stop there.  As the Bible tells us, He went exceeding abundantly above all we ask or think.  On Friday, I received a letter in the mail from a friend and reader.  The letter blessed me to my very core and caused tears of joy to flow down my cheeks.  As if that weren't enough, the envelope also included a check for $300.  The dogs were both astounded and amused at the "hallelujah tribal dance" I performed around my dining room table.  Tears flowed.  I laughed and praised God for His wonderful provision.  Whether my friend realized it or not, God used her to speak to my heart, and He said, "Child, just do what I've asked you to do, and I'll take care of the rest.  I always have.  I always will.  Trust me."

God didn't just provide the means for me to get the current book cover done.  He provided so much more.  I can get a few book covers done and still have money to publish and purchase the books when the time comes.  Not only that, but through the precious letter, He reminded me that my work is important and that if only one person is impacted through my ministry, that is enough.  It's all worth it!  I received a reminder of God's faithfulness and a challenge to continue in my own faithfulness in a single envelope.  I'm amazed it could contain such blessings!

My friend, I have no idea what you're facing today or how dark your circumstances may seem.  Perhaps, you are also confused about what God is doing in your life and trying to figure out how to make it all work.  If so, may I pass on the instruction that God gave to me?  Do what you know to do, and leave the rest in His hands.  Remain faithful in your calling, and leave the results up to Him.  I guarantee you, you'll be awestruck by the way He pulls things together.  Who knows?  You may feel the need to do a little "hallelujah tribal dance" of your own.  But you might want to shut the blinds lest your neighbors wonder what you've been smoking.

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. - I John 5:14-15

No comments: