Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, July 18, 2014

Sound the Horn!

Some things just strike me as hilarious, causing me to burst into laughter, usually much more laughter than what the situation merits.  One such occasion took place several mornings ago as I was walking the Swamp Rabbit Trail.  It is customary for those who are passing to let their presence be known by shouting out, "Passing on the left" or signaling the person they are trying to pass by horn, bell or whatever method is available.  When the trail first opened, everyone seemed to be really good about following this unwritten rule.  As time has passed, however, many have gotten lax, especially some of the bicyclists.  And let me tell you, there's nothing like having a bicycle come up behind you and zip past you at lightning speed, especially since some of those newer bikes make no sound.  There have been several times I nearly wet my pants because of some inconsiderate bicyclists zooming past me without any warning.  Not nice!  So much for a calming walk!

Anyway, on this particular morning, I was walking along, listening to the two men chattering behind me.  I could tell from the way they were shouting at one another and from the speed at which they were closing the distance between us that they were on bicycles.  I didn't need to turn around and look.  The closer they came, the louder their voices rang out.  At one point I was thinking, Good grief, dude!  Is it really necessary to shout like that.  But on the heels of that thought, everything went quiet.  Before I could enjoy the peace, the silence was broken by the most pathetic little bicycle horn I've ever heard.  Beep, beep.  The poor thing sounded like a goose with a head cold.  I couldn't help myself.  I just burst out laughing, as the two men passed me, looking over their shoulders and probably wondering if I was some kind of lunatic. (They might have a point.)

I didn't mean to laugh, but the sound of that horn was just so hilarious.  Add to that the fact that the one man felt the need to signal me after how they had been shouting at one another.  The whole thing just struck a chord in my funny bone, and try as I might, I couldn't pull myself together.  In fact, I was still smiling when I got home.  What a great way to start the day!

But you know what?  One day another horn will sound, only this one won't be pathetic.  It will be loud and majestic.  It will ring out across the entire globe and signal the return of Jesus Christ.  But on that day, only some will be laughing.  Those of us who are saved will be basking in the love of Jesus and enjoying merriment like we've never know before as we're whisked away from this earth and pulled into Heaven's embrace.  As for the rest of the world, there will be total chaos and confusion.  What happened?  Where did all those people go?  For you see, they didn't hear the trumpet.  They weren't ready.  They hadn't readied their ears, but more than that, they hadn't readied their hearts.  Jesus came, and they were left behind.

My dear friends, if you have not asked Jesus into your heart and life, I plead with you to do so today.  Don't put it off.  Don't wait for another day.  Prepare your ears to hear the trump of God.  Prepare your heart by receiving Christ's gift of salvation.  Please don't be left behind.  I guarantee you, it's no laughing matter.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. - I Thessalonians 4:16-17

No comments: