Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, August 18, 2014

Join the Club

I wonder if the disciples ever had to deal with well-meaning family and friends in regards to their ministry.  After all, they left their "jobs" to follow Jesus, which means they walked away from a paycheck to fulfill God's calling with only the promise that their needs would be met but no explanation of how that meeting of needs would come to pass.  I admit, it's not an easy thing to do.  But even more difficult is trying to explain your position to others.  Here are some typical comments I've received:

"So, you just work from home and write, but you don't make enough to live on?  Why would you do that?"

"I thought that maybe since you don't have a job, you could help me out next week."

"I know of a place that's looking for employees if you want some part-time work to help with the financial side of things.  I could get you the information."

Even this past week, I had someone offer me a job (more than once), and when I turned it down, the woman replied, "I know you're busy, but I just thought I'd ask."

Please understand, I'm not criticizing or complaining.  I understand that these people mean well and are trying to look out for me, and for that, I'm truly thankful.  I'm also not referring to those who ask a favor of me every now and then because my schedule is flexible.  I'm happy to help whenever I can.  What gets me is how many times I have to explain that I'm not just "busy."  I have a job!  No, it doesn't pay great (when it pays at all).  No, it doesn't sound grand to some.  No, it doesn't come with a company car and health benefits.  But on the plus side, I can work in my yoga pants and tee-shirt.  Can you say the same for your job?  LOL

My point is that my writing and speaking ministry is just that--a ministry, but it's also my full-time job.  Just as He did with the disciples, the Lord has called me to be a fisher of men.  He has made His wishes clear and led me to abandon the security of a weekly paycheck with nothing but a promise that He will meet my needs.  And you know what?  He hasn't let me down.  Sure, things have been tight from time to time.  Yes, there have been times when I wondered how in the world we were going to pay our bills.  But God has always seen us through.  I can't explain it.  It's just the way He is.

Perhaps you feel God calling you in a certain direction, but you fear others won't understand.  Well, join the club!  But you know, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or understands.  What matters is that you follow the Lord's leading for your life.  It may not make sense (in fact, it rarely does), but you'll know it's the Lord prodding you to make a change.  Don't be afraid of how you'll meet your needs or what others may think or say.  Just follow God's guidance and bask in the indescribable peace that comes from doing His will.

And if you know some place that's hiring, please don't ask me.  I love my job and wouldn't trade it for anything!

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. - Romans 12:1-2

No comments: