Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Another One of Those Days

Have you ever noticed that the times you need things to run smoothly are the exact times that things seem to just fall apart?  You know, like you're already running late for work, then you spill your coffee all down your shirt.  After changing tops, you run to the car, only to be stopped in a traffic jam the size of the Great Wall of China.  Frustrating, isn't it?  Well, today has certainly been one of those days.

After taking my morning walk (which I cut short due to the many demands on my plate today), I sat down and made a list of all the things I needed to accomplish before we left for our trip on Wednesday.  To be honest, the size of the list made me a little queasy.  Still, I soldiered on.  God was on my side.  I was in a positive mood.  I had gotten a good night's sleep.  I knew it could be done. . . until. . .

The first sign of trouble was when I booted up my computer and noticed that it had a virus. . .AGAIN!!!  I have cleaned up this exact same virus three times now, but evidently, I'm missing some little piece of it that keeps mutating into its full ugly form every time I shut down my computer.  Grrr!  After cleaning up the problem once again, I rebooted my computer and went to switch out the laundry.  Imagine my frustration when I noticed the wet floor seeping from underneath the dryer.  Wonderful!  The washer was leaking somewhere, and I still had two loads of laundry to do.

I have to be honest with you, at this point I was tempted to drown my sorrows in chocolate and go back to bed.  There was too much work to be done to have to deal with all these problems.  I didn't have the time, the energy or the state of mind to fight these battles.  And so, through my tears of frustration, I did the only thing I knew to do.  I turned my eyes heavenward and cried, "Lord, a little help please!"

And do you know what?  I got it.  No, the virus didn't fix itself and neither did the washing machine.  But as I sought the Lord, He whispered sweet peace to my soul and reminded me that while my problems seemed overwhelming to me, they were nothing that He couldn't handle.  In those quiet moments, He helped me to remember that He has never failed me and that He had everything under control.  And most importantly, He made me aware of His presence.  Right there, in the midst of my feisty computer and leaky washer, God was holding my hand and whispering in my ear, "It's okay, child.  I'm here.  I'll give you the strength and energy and state of mind you need to get through this.  Just hold on to me because I'm already holding on to you."

I can't tell you that the computer and washing machine are now fixed, but I can attest to the fact that my attitude is, and that makes a big difference.  I am no longer facing the day with dread and a sense of being overwhelmed.  Instead, I'm looking at my list with the certainty that there's nothing on it that my God can't handle.

How's your list looking today?  Are you feeling overwhelmed by demands and frustrations beyond your control?  If so, I urge you to do what I did.  Seek God.  Ask for His help.  Then be willing to accept the help in whatever form it may come.  God has it under control, and I guarantee you, there's nothing on your list that He can't handle.

Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: Is there any thing too hard for me? - Jeremiah 32:27

No comments: