Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, January 9, 2015

Yes, Lord, Lead Me!

I would like to share with you a powerful paragraph I came across yesterday.  I've heard, read and seen many messages and devotions about following the Lord, but this particular point of view struck me, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.  Take a look: 

Suppose you had to cross a field full of land mines.  A person who knows exactly where every one of them is buried offers to take you through it.  Would you say to him, "I don't want you to tell me what to do.  I don't want you to impose your ways on me"?  I don't know about you, but I would stay as close to that person as I could.  I certainly would not go wandering off.  His directions to me would preserve my life.  He would say, "Don't go that way, because that way will kill you.  Go this way and you will live." -- An Excerpt from Experiencing God by Henry T. Blackaby and Claude V. King

Wow!  I've honestly never thought about it in that light, but that's exactly what the Christian walk can be likened to.  Our lives are full of land mines, and God is the only One who knows exactly where each of those mines is.  He is the only One who can guide us safely through, but that means we must follow exactly in His footsteps, following His every direction.  When we do, we arrive safely at our destination.  When we don't, well, let's just say things get messy.

God is not trying to run our lives because of some "ruler complex."  He is not attempting to take away our free will.  He is trying to get us safely through life's mine fields.  That's all!  So why do we get in such a huffy about God having His way?  Why do we insist on following our own paths and directions?  We don't even know where we're going, let alone how many land mines are in our paths.  Why, oh, why would we ever want to argue with our Guide?  He knows the way; we don't!  He knows the location of the mines; we don't!  He knows exactly what's in our future; we don't!

God has been dealing with me a lot the past few weeks about yielding complete control of my life to Him.  He has been reminding me of my need and ability to trust Him.  And then, when I came across the above quote in my reading yesterday, it was as if I could finally see and understand.  I can trust Jesus with whatever my life may hold.  He is my Guide, and He is working all things for my good.  I need not be afraid, for as long as I'm following in His footsteps, I can take each step with strength and confidence.  And with my mind free from worry and doubt, I can finally fully concentrate on the tasks He has called me to do.

You are never walking alone, my friend, but I ask you:  Who is doing the leading?

Man's goings are of the Lord; how can a man then understand his own way? - Proverbs 20:24


No comments: