Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, April 27, 2015

The Living Dead, Part Six

Hang in there, everyone!  I know the past several posts have been tough, but I can honestly say that they've done me a lot of good.  By discussing "dying to self" in specific terms, I have become more aware of my thoughts and actions and have even caught myself in the process of living for self rather than dying to self.  That being said, I'll be happy to have the last two points finished so that we can hopefully move on to happier and more encouraging posts.  Ready for number six?

"When you are content with any food, any offering, any raiment, any climate, or any society--that is dying to self."

Hmm, it seems to me that those categories list the things of which most complaints exist.  Seriously, how often do we complain about how bad the food is or how little we received when we felt we deserved more?  Or how about the famous statement, more often associated with females rather than males, "I don't have anything to where," when, in fact, we have an entire closet full of nice things?  Climate and society?  Oh, don't even get us started, right?  It's too hot.  It's too cold.  I'm tired of the snow.  I'm sick of all this rain.  These politicians are all crooks.  Our government is going under faster than the Titanic.  Just look at all these deadbeats that are benefitting from my hard work.  Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Let's face it, as a whole, we're seldom content with anything.  More often than not, we find ourselves complaining about something.  Things just aren't good enough for us.  But if we'd really stop and think about it, we would see just how selfish and self-centered that type of attitude is.  It's all about us and what we want, but isn't it all supposed to be about God?

I must admit that the very first part of this one hits me the hardest as I have been contemplating making a drastic change in my daily diet.  As a sufferer of many health issues, I have grown weary of the constant pain and fatigue.  So weary, in fact, that I've found myself looking into meal plans that I would have never considered before.  I mean, seriously, who wants to give up chocolate and pizza and pastas?  For so long, I've told myself that I simply can't do it.  I can't give up these foods.  Truth is, I can, but I don't want to.  I've been living for self and indulging in the foods I enjoyed rather than those my body needs.  In short, I have not been content with any food, only those foods that I consider yummy.  Now, I am faced with a decision:  continue to live for self and let my health suffer or take control of my eating habits by eating what I know is right rather than what tastes good.  Not an easy decision, let me tell you, but it is a necessary one.

The same can be said for every area mentioned in this sixth point.  God is in control of all things, and when we complain about our lot in life, it is a slap in God's face.  Without saying the exact words, we are basically accusing God of "not doing it right."  I think back to the advice my wise husband gave me a few years ago:  If you're not happy with something in your life, do what you can to fix it, but don't complain about it.  Complaining doesn't solve the problem; it only spoils the attitude.  Well said, dear hubby!

"When you are content with any food, any offering, any raiment, any climate, or any society--that is dying to self."

Contentment versus complaining.  Dying to self versus living for self.  A choice must be made.  There's really no such thing as the living dead, despite what the horror movies would have you believe.

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. - Philippians 4:11

No comments: