Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Living Dead, Part Three

I wish I could tell you that "The Living Dead Test" was about to get easier, but for me, this third point is probably the most difficult.  This is the one that I read and immediately cringed.  Hopefully, you'll score better than I did, but there's really no way to know until I share point number three with you, so here goes:

"When you lovingly and patiently bear disorder, irregularity, tardiness, and annoyance. . . and endure it as Jesus endured it--that is dying to self."

Yikes!  I need my steel-toed boots for this topic.  Lovingly and patiently bear disorder?  Not an easy task for a perfectionist.  Despite the ongoing mess and disorganization in my house, I am otherwise a very orderly person.  Each thing has its place and woe unto the person who does not put said item back where it belongs.  I love schedules, routines, checklists and agendas.  I desire to know what's going on, when it's happening, who's involved and what I need to do to prepare.  I have bags, folders, baskets and many other tools that help me to keep things in order so that when I need them, I know right where to find them.

Lovingly and patiently bear tardiness?  Really?  I don't like to be late.  That's part of being organized. I understand that things happen, and everyone is late now and again.  (In fact, I was late for church Sunday morning because my watch was running slow, and I didn't know it.)  That's fine.  I can understand having a bad morning or getting caught in traffic.  But, must I really bear patiently those who are late all the time?  Why don't they leave five or ten minutes earlier?  I don't understand this, and it drives me crazy!

Lovingly and patiently bear annoyance?  How?  Isn't the very definition of "annoyance" something that gets on your nerves.  I don't like annoying people or annoying circumstances.  They disturb my plans and my order.  They throw a curveball in my neatly-organized day.  And let's face it, sometimes they're simply too blaring to overlook, so they must be dealt with in one fashion or another.  Sadly, that fashion is not usually to endure or patiently bear, is it?

Can you imagine what it would be like if Jesus simply got fed up with us?  After all, we're all disorganized, irregular, tardy and annoying to a degree, especially compared to Him.  What if He decided He would no longer put up with us?  What if He grew tired of our faults?  We'd be in a horrible place, wouldn't we?  Thankfully, we know that He would never do that, but that tells us that we shouldn't either.  We are not judge and jury, and despite how we often act, we are not perfect either.  We need to show a lot more love and a lot less judgment.

"When you lovingly and patiently bear disorder, irregularity, tardiness, and annoyance. . . and endure it as Jesus endured it--that is dying to self."

She's alive!  She's alive!  Unfortunately!!!!!  How about you?

Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? - James 4:11-12

No comments: