Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, May 29, 2015

A Little Rest, Please!

Tuesday was one of those days when I really didn't feel well.  My stomach was a little iffy, and my head throbbed all day long.  I went about my day as best as I could and accomplished what I could get done, but by the evening hours, I was completely spent.  Jason spent nearly an hour rubbing my neck and shoulders in an attempt to alleviate my headache, but I fear all his hard work was in vain.  It seemed that headache was not interested in being relieved.  So, I decided the best thing to do was to take a couple of pain relievers and go to bed, even if it was only 9:00.

Unfortunately, life has a way of not always turning out the way we hope or plan.  About the time I was dozing off, Tippy decided she wanted to come to bed.  She knew the routine.  She went outside to go potty, came in and got a little bit of water, then trotted over to my side of the bed and began to whimper.  Frustrated (not necessarily at her but at the interruption), I threw back the covers, scooped her up and placed her on the bed beside me.  "Let's try this again," I said as I crawled back under the covers and tried, once again, to find that "just right" position where my head didn't feel like it was about to explode.

But it simply wasn't meant to be.  Interruption after interruption.  Two phone calls.  Several text messages.  A knock at the front door.  Oh, and let's not forget Jason's late night bass lesson and Tippy's decision that she would actually rather stay out in the living room with her daddy than come to bed with me.  Cue doggie whine, take two!

After nearly two hours of interruptions, I had had enough!  I was tired.  My head ached, and I wanted nothing more than for everyone to be quiet and leave me alone so that I could sleep.  I needed some rest BIG TIME!  So, I sent Tippy on her way to the living room, closed the bedroom door, turned the ringer down on my phone and snuggled in for what was left of my "good night's sleep."

Some days we're just tired and weary, and we really need to rest.  Even Jesus knew that it was necessary to get away from it all every now and then and take the time to renew both body and spirit. But in this day and age, it seems almost impossible.  With job demands, relationships, housework, financial burdens, and a myriad of other responsibilities, we find it difficult to take some time for ourselves to rest our minds and bodies.  And sadly, even when we do finally break down and try to rest, life won't let us.  Instead it bombards us with interruptions and annoyances until we're sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Isn't it good to know that no matter how busy we get or how much life throws our way, rest is always available through our Lord?  Jesus said, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)  No matter how stressed or frustrated we may be, we are invited to come to Jesus and leave it all behind.  No more worries.  No more cares.  Jesus invites us to lay all our cares down at His feet and to be at rest.  He is waiting with open arms for us to snuggle into His bosom and relax for a while.

Leave it all behind, and take a few moments to rest in His presence.  I guarantee you it will make a HUGE difference!

This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it. - Psalm 32:14

No comments: