Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Are You Done?

Jason probably won't appreciate my sharing this story, but he knows that I'm telling it to make a point, nothing more.  Besides, it's simply too funny to not be shared.

Sunday mornings are generally a huge rush to get ready for church.  Showers, breakfast, the ironing of clothes, one final practice for my selected offertory, packing up my computer for my Sunday School class, feeding the dogs, etc.  Some things can be done the night before, but most of these things have to be done Sunday morning, so occasionally things can get a bit hectic.  This past Sunday, however, we were doing fairly well on time.  We both got up when the alarm went off, and things seemed to be running smoothly.

The standing rule in our house is whoever gets ready first starts working on breakfast.  Well, this week, it happened to be me, but just barely.  I was just getting started when Jason came out and basically took over the operation.  (Sunday morning breakfasts are usually very simple.)  Since he had the situation under control, I took the opportunity to go put my makeup on.  I was going to wait until after breakfast because in this summer heat, it melts off rather quickly, but since I was really just standing around in the kitchen watching him work, I felt that doing my makeup would be a better use of my time.

When I was done, I came back out to the kitchen and helped Jason put the finishing touches on breakfast.  "Sorry about that," I said, "I just figured since you had everything in hand here, I'd go ahead and put my makeup on."  He looked up at me, studied my face, then asked, "Are you done?"  Having been married to my sweet love for over 18 years now, I knew that what he meant was that if I needed more time to finish my makeup, he would finish up breakfast.  However, my redheaded, sassy side simply could not let a comment like that pass.  I faced him, mustered up the best poochy lip I could and whined, "Yes, honey, I'm done.  I'm afraid this is as good as it gets."  That comment earned me a well-deserved slap on my rear end.  Hehehehe!  Aren't I terrible?

On the serious side, I often look at myself in a spiritual sense and wonder, Is this as good as it gets?  It is then that I hear that sweet, gentle reminder, "No, child.  I'm not done with you yet.  Just give it some time.  I'm still working on you."  Hallelujah!  I am not a finished product, and neither are you.  I honestly believe that God will be working on us until the moment He takes us home, constantly molding and making us into what He wants us to be.  We will never "arrive" this side of Heaven, but we can continue to improve.

I'm not what I want to be, and  I'm not what I'm going to be.  But, praise God, I'm not who I used to be.  He's still working on me and making me into a vessel fit for His use, so that one day He will behold all the work that He's done and exclaim, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."  He does the work, and I get the praise.  How about that!

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: - Philippians 1:6

No comments: