Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Thankful for the Dreary Days

Many of you who are regular readers know that I've been on a journey to better health, but despite my efforts, I haven't arrived at that "I feel great" stage yet.  For the most part, I haven't felt bad, but I haven't exactly felt good either, or at least, not as good as I would like to feel.  Last week, however, when I was sick, I was reminded just how miserable it is to feel bad, and I began to appreciate feeling good or even fair.  Compared to how I felt last week, the few weeks leading up to it were Heaven on earth.  Funny how our perspectives can change, huh?  Now that I'm recovering and regaining some strength, I realize how much I'm longing to at least feel fair again.  It's a shame that it took being sick for me to appreciate what health I did have.

The same can be said for our spiritual condition.  Oftentimes it takes a severe storm to allow us to appreciate not only the calm waters but also the slightly choppy seas.  A long stretch through the valley helps us appreciate not only the mountaintops, but also the strenuous climb to get there because we realize we're finally heading up.  Leave it to the "really bad" to help us appreciate the "not-so-bad."  It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't know what you're going through today, but I do know this--our storms have a purpose.  Our valleys inspire growth.  And while your current dilemma may seem like the end of the world, it's not. God promised to bring us through the storms and through the valleys.  They are not our destination, only pit stops along the way.  Some days will be better, and others, not so much.  But keep in mind that even though our moods and perspectives may change, the God who is controlling all things doesn't.  He is, and always will be, a God of love.  He doesn't send the storms to punish us but rather to remind us of just how much we have to be thankful for.

So, when was the last time you thanked God for the dreary days?

When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. - Isaiah 43:2

No comments: