Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

When the Truth Really Hurts

We had a guest speaker at our church Sunday morning, and while I admit the entire message was compelling, there was a single sentence that affected me more than all the rest of the sermon combined.  It was one of those hard truths that grabbed ahold of my heart and squeezed until tears ran down my cheeks.  The sentence was simply this:  "Man acts according to his own view of God."

The speaker used that sentence in conjunction with his summary of how far our land has strayed from God.  He remarked that as long as man believed there was no God and therefore no accountability, he would act with complete disregard to consequences for his actions.  And his interpretation and application of the statement was spot on; however, as soon as my ears heard that powerful sentence above, my mind went in another direction.

"Man acts according to his own view of God."  That includes Christians.  What we say we believe and what we really believe doesn't always mesh, does it?  Think about it.  If we act according to our own view of God, then what must our view of God be when we live our lives in worry and fear?  When we face each new day with dread instead of hope?  When we look at the circumstances around us and despair of making it through?  We say, "I know God can do it, but. . . " or "I know God has a purpose, but. . ."  But what?  Either we know it and believe it, or we don't.  There is no "but."

I must admit that I phased out for a little while during Sunday's morning message because I was caught up in that single statement.  It doesn't matter how much I say I trust God or even how much I believe I trust God.  My actions will always follow through with my true beliefs, so if my actions are those of a doubting saint, then what does that say about my beliefs?  My fear and worry might as well be signs that read, "I want to trust God, but I honestly think this problem is too big for Him to handle."  And the more I think about it, the more ashamed I become.  The only one I've been fooling all this time is me!

What about you?  What do your actions say about your view of God?  Are you living a life of fear and constant stress?  If so, your true view of God is obviously not much different than mine. . . but it should be!  Let's face it, if ever there was a time to stand up for what we believe in, it's now.  But how can we stand up for what we believe when we don't even know what we believe?  It's time to make a choice.  Either God is able, or He's not.  Either He is almighty, or He's not.  Either we trust Him, or we don't.  It's time for us to decide and then to follow through on that decision with the proper actions.

It's true what they say, "Actions speak louder than words."  So what are your actions telling you?

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. - James 2:17-18

No comments: