Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, October 5, 2015

Hang On a Little Longer

The other night I decided to fix a big pot of chicken and dumplings.  Mitchell and Tippy were all for this idea.  They understood that the big bag of leftover chicken meant they could have a few samples. What they didn't understand, however, was that the chicken was the last thing to go in the pot.  First, there would be a lot of waiting as the dumplings cooked.

Mitchell quickly realized that the process was going to be a long one, so he went and made himself comfortable on the couch.  Tippy, on the other hand, was determined to wait it out.  So, she waited while the water boiled.  She waited while the dumplings were added.  She waited as I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher while the dumplings were cooking.  She waited while I checked to see if the dumplings were done.  Patient as ever, she sat behind me and waited.

After seeing that the dumplings needed a few more minutes before I added the chicken, I went into my office to do a quick task that I had forgotten about until then.  Unfortunately, Tippy misunderstood my actions and obviously assumed that the "chicken feast" was a bust.  When I went back to the kitchen, she was gone.  As I opened the bag of chicken, Mitchell came running, but Tippy was still nowhere to be found.  As I added the meat to the pot and tossed bits and pieces to Mitchell, Tippy was still AWOL.  Finally, just as I was about to add the last of the chicken, she came in through the back door.  Fortunately for her, I had been saving some scraps.

Funny, isn't it?  She waited all that time, then just about the time she was going to get her reward, she gave up and wandered off. . . and nearly missed the reward because of it.  Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Look at the passage I read in my devotions this morning: Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways! I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries. The haters of the Lord should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever. He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee. (Psalm 81:13-16)

Did you catch that phrase, "I should soon have subdued their enemies"?  God was saying, "I was about to give them what they wanted.  I was about to make their dreams come true.  I was about to bring all my promises to fruition.  But Israel wouldn't wait any longer."  No, they grew tired of waiting on God and decided to do things their own way.  If only they had waited just a little while longer!

I don't want to be like the children of Israel.  I don't want to be like Tippy.  I don't want to miss out on the blessings of God because I gave up one hour too early or one day too early or even one year too early.  I want all the things that God has promised me and all the blessings that He has in store for me, but in order to have them, I need to be patient throughout the entire process.  Yes, it may seem like nothing is happening, but God is always working.

Maybe today you're about ready to give up.  I urge you to hold on a little longer.  God has a treat in store for you. Don't wander off.  Stay in His presence, and wait on His timing.  I promise you the blessings He has for you will definitely be worth it (and they may or may not taste like chicken).

No comments: