Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, November 20, 2015

Are You Delighting In Blessing?

As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him. - Psalm 109:17

In the above psalm, David is speaking of the wicked, but I have to admit that the latter half of that verse gave me pause:  as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.  In essence, David was saying, "Since he doesn't acknowledge his blessings anyway, stop sending them."  And that smote my heart to the very core.

How often do we take our blessings for granted?  How many times do the blessings come, and we merely nod our heads like that was exactly what was supposed to happen?  Why is it that it is so much easier to remember our troubles than it is our blessings?  Could it be that we, like the wicked David spoke of, are failing to delight in our blessings?

Sure, we may send up a quick prayer of thanks.  And yes, we'll often tell a few people about what God did for us.  But then another day passes and instead of being thankful for what we have already received, we start looking to God and asking for more.  Shameful, isn't it?  What's worse is that Satan can get us so bamboozled that we begin to doubt that we have any blessings at all.  It goes something like this:

"Yes, I have a roof over my head, but unfortunately, it leaks."
"It's true the Lord allowed us to replace the washing machine, but now the dryer is acting up."
"Yes, the Lord has always met our needs, but things are tighter than ever, and I don't see any way out."

Do you see how easy it is to bypass the blessing in order to find a reason to complain?  I don't know why we do it, but it seems to be our natural tendency, doesn't it?  I don't know about you, but I am desperately feeling the need for a change of tactics.  I believe it's time to kick some "buts" out of my life and focus only on the blessings.

"Yes, I have a roof over my head."  Stop!
"It's true the Lord allowed us to replace the washing machine."  Stop!
"Yes, the Lord has always met our needs." Stop!

It sounds a bit like I'm trying to send a telegram, but I think you get my point.  Don't state a blessing then negate it by saying, "but. . . "  State the blessing and focus on that blessing lest God take David's advice and stop sending the blessings altogether.

No comments: