Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, April 14, 2016

What's This All About?

Serving the Lord has its rewards, but it can also be difficult.  Sometimes the work is difficult and seems unfulfilling.  And, I don't know about you, but I often find myself growing weary in well-doing.  I want to serve the Lord with all my heart and soul and mind, but some days, I just don't feel like I have anything left to give.  And honestly, there are other days when I can't help but wonder if the sacrifice is worth it.

Fortunately, the Lord knows exactly how we feel.  Remember, He's been there.  And just when we need it most, God sends us a reminder of why we're doing what we're doing.  At just the right time, He assures us that our work is not in vain and that our service does matter.  Last week, I received one of those blessed reminders, and I would like to share it with you.

I am a member of a writing group called John 3:16 Marketing Network.  As the name implies, the group is comprised of Christian authors striving to make a difference in the world by sharing the gospel through our literary works.  One way we do that is through various programs such as sending our books to orphans around the world and also to prisoners in a correctional facility in Florida.  The prison ministry is set up to where we (the authors) donate our books to the prison library and any prisoner who checks out our books is required to write a review or summary of their reading experience.  It has been an awarding process
, but I was late getting into the program, so I didn't receive my first reviews until last week when I received twelve of them!  Yes, twelve!

All of the reviews were wonderful and brought a smile to my face, but there were a few that made me nearly dance out of my skin.  I would like to share with you my favorite of the bunch.

This is a devotional book filled with humor and encouragement. Ms. Rongione shares her life and lessons with us as we journey together to draw closer to Jesus. She is very candid and witty. I could relate to each short story. The entries are things we all go through, and Dana says what a lot of us want to say but don't actually have the nerve to say! In other words, she keeps it real!! I learned a lot, took some hard hits, and laughed a lot. This is one of the most thoughtful and encouraging devotional books I've read. A gotta have it book!! Bravo!!

Thoughtful.  Encouraging.  Saying what others want to say but don't have the nerve to.  Keeping it real.  Relating to others.  This is what my ministry is all about, and I praise the Lord for this blessed reminder.  It soothes the weariness and refreshes my soul.  It helps me to readjust my focus.  But most of all, it serves as a testimony that my work is not in vain, even when I feel that it is.

I don't know what it is the Lord has called you to do, but I hope that you, too, can find the peace and joy of knowing that your work is not in vain.  Your service matters, and your obedience will be rewarded.  Hang in there!

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. - I Corinthians 15:58

No comments: