Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Could You Rephrase the Question? -- A Repost

In the darkest times in life, it seems our minds are plagued with questions.  No matter how hard we try, we can't escape the uncertainty that looms all around us.  Hearts with no peace.  Lives with no joy.  Questions with no answers.  When?  Why?  How?

When did my life turn so sour?

What am I going to do now?

Where is this long, lonely road leading?

How in the world am I going to get through this?

Why me, Lord?

Good questions, each and every one, and certainly some of the top contenders for pressing thoughts during times of trial.  But are they the right thoughts?  After all, don't our actions follow our attitudes which follow our thought patterns?  Questions like those above only serve to help us sink deeper in despair.  There are no answers, only more questions.  And with each question comes a new wave of disappointment and grief.  Before we realize it, we're buried so deep in depression that we wonder if we'll ever again see the light of day.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions.  Questions are good.  They provide a gateway to learning.  But may I suggest we start rephrasing our questions?  When?  Why?  How?

When is the earliest time I can set aside for some quiet time with God to get this situation sorted out?

What can I learn from this situation to make me a better, stronger person?

Where else can I turn for answers but to God?  Nowhere!

How can I bring glory to God in my current circumstances?

Why not me, Lord?

I believe we'll find that the simple rephrasing of some of life's toughest questions will lead to peace, understanding and better attitudes.  I often hear people complain (as I have myself) that God is not answering their prayers.  Perhaps it's because we're not asking the right questions.

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. - Jeremiah 33:3

No comments: