Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, April 3, 2017

I Can't Believe You Just Said That!

In my Sunday School class, I'm currently teaching a series on the Exodus entitled Wilderness Wanderings.  It's been a fun and enlightening series so far, and this past Sunday, we dealt with a particular passage that literally makes me slap my forehead and utter, "I can't believe you just said that!"

I'm sure we're all familiar with the building of the golden calf by Aaron while Moses was busy on Mount Sinai accepting the Ten Commandments (and many others) from God.  In short, the people got tired of waiting on Moses to come down from the mountain, so they asked Aaron to build them a god of gold.  Aaron commanded them to bring forth their jewelry, melted it down and used graving tools to create the image of a calf.  The sad thing is that Aaron was supposed to be in charge during this period, and he was proving to be a poor leader indeed.  Giving in to the people was not leadership; it's cowardice.

Anyway, Moses came down the mountain, saw what the people were doing and crushed the tablet containing the law of God as he threw it down on the ground in anger.  Immediately, he went to Aaron and asked what in the world he thought he was doing.  I want you to see Aaron's answer straight from the Bible, so you'll know I'm not making any of this up.

And Aaron said, Let not the anger of my lord wax hot: thou knowest the people, that they are set on mischief. For they said unto me, Make us gods, which shall go before us: for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him. And I said unto them, Whosoever hath any gold, let them break it off. So they gave it me: then I cast it into the fire, and there came out this calf. - Exodus 32:22-24

First off, he blamed the people and acted like he was blameless in the situation.  But it's his final statement that strikes me as both ludicrous and somewhat hilarious.  "I cast the gold into the fire and out came this calf.  Tada!"  Seriously, Aaron?  That's the best you can come up with?  Instead of spontaneous combustion, here we have spontaneous idol graving?  Yeah, I don't think so.  I have to put forth that's probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, but I realized recently that it's no more so than what the evolutionists claim.

Let's face it, the theory of evolution is wacky.  There were these particles that collided and then suddenly, everything else existed.  Seriously?  Okay, where did the initial particles come from?  Answer me that.  To think that life just appeared out of nothing is beyond ludicrous.  It's insane!  It takes a lot of faith to believe that everything in the universe just came into being because of some sort of cosmic accident.  It would be like me throwing a bunch of electronic parts into a large bin and expecting to pull out a fully-functioning computer.  It doesn't work that way.  Never has!  Never will!

God is the Creator of this universe and everything in it. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1:3)  Case closed!  So, you can save your "calf stories" for someone else.  I believe the Bible!

No comments: