Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, May 26, 2017

From Whence Cometh My Help - Part Three (Repost)

It's time to continue our test, so hold tight and remember, be honest.  The truth shall set you free.

Wonder Woman/Superman Complex Test:

Question #3 - Do you feel you need to perform certain tasks regularly to win favor or approval?

In other words, are there things you do, not because you want to or feel led by the Lord to do, but rather you do them so that others will think better of you?  At first, I thought I wasn't really guilty of this one, but then the Lord brought to my mind how often I compare myself, my home and my talents with others.  He reminded me of how, just the other day, a friend was meeting me at my house so that we could walk together on the Swamp Rabbit Trail.  I was happy for her to come over, but a quick glance around my house told me that my house was not in the proper state for company.  I forsook my writing tasks for the day and spent the entire day straightening, sweeping, dusting and scrubbing bathrooms.  I just knew my friend was going to judge me by the condition of my house, and I couldn't bear the thought.

We know that God is not the author of confusion, and He likes all things to be done decently and in order.  However, what's in order for me may not be in order for someone else.  I admit, in most areas, I am a perfectionist; however, when it comes to keeping house, I get pretty lax.  With an indoor/outdoor dog and our crazy schedules of coming and going, it just takes far too much effort to keep everything spotless.  So, I don't even try. . . until I know company is coming.

The craziest thing about my recent behavior is that the lady who was coming over has to be the sweetest person on earth.  She is kind and mild-tempered.  I've never heard her speak an ill word of anyone.  She loves the Lord, and that love shines through in everything she does.  Why was I afraid of her?  We've been friends for over fifteen years.  Did I think she was going to ditch me or think poorly of me because there were dust bunnies on my floor and dog hair on my furniture?  How silly is that?

The fact of the matter is that if we have to perform certain tasks or act a certain way to impress others or win their approval, they're really not worth our time and effort.  I'm sorry.  I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth.  If they're not willing to accept us as we are, they're not very good friends, are they?  A true friend accepts you, dirty house and all.  We live different lives and have different priorities.  It's time we acknowledge that and move on.  Stop comparing ourselves to others and be satisfied with who God created us to be.  My mom and dad both have the clean house gene.  They passed it on to my sister, but evidently, she got all there was because my brother and I seem to have missed out on that one.  But you know what?  That's okay.  My parents don't love me any less because I haven't mopped the floors in. . . well, I don't remember how long it's been.

And God doesn't love me any less either.  He wants me to be me and to stop pretending I have everything under control.  He wants me to accept my weaknesses and bring them to Him, not try to fix them or cover them up on my own.  He desires to work through me, but He can't do that when I keep getting in the way.

Good grief!  We've only covered three questions, and I'm not scoring well.  How about you?  We're one-third of the way through the test.  Maybe things will get better. . . but I wouldn't count on it!

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. - Colossians 3:23-24

No comments: