Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, June 2, 2017

From Whence Cometh My Help - Part Seven (Repost)

Wonder Woman/Superman Complex Test:

Question #7 - Have you ever turned down an offer for help but then complained about the task and the unwillingness of others to aid you?

To quote Winnie the Pooh, "Oh, bother!"  I fear that, once again, I must plead guilty.  I don't know why I do it, but I know that I do it often.  Perhaps, I feel the task will be a simple one, but once I get into it, I realize it's not as simple as I first thought, but then I don't want to go back and ask for help after I declined the initial offer.  Or maybe, it's that Wonder Woman Complex that spurs me to turn down the offers of help and then complain about my lot in life.  I don't know what it is, but I know who it reminds me of--Martha.

But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. - Luke 10:40

If Martha's actions had been accompanied by a soundtrack (like in the movies), I think it would have sounded a little like this:  "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen.  Nobody knows my sorrow."  Poor Martha.  Cumbered about with much serving.  But honestly, who's choice was that?  Martha's, right?  No one asked her to make such a fuss.  No one told her she had to do it all alone.  No one forced Martha to play Wonder Woman.  It was Martha's choice, and while I believe she had good intentions, her attitude wreaked of bitterness.


Like Martha, we often feel we can do it all or go it alone until frustration and exhaustion start to set in.  Then, watch out!  Our attitudes turn sour, and our thoughts turn negative.  Our delight in serving turns to duty, and our joy flies south.  Sure, we may accomplish the task at hand, but at what cost?  How about if we let Jesus answer that one.

And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. - Luke 10:41-42

May I spell that out for you in today's vernacular?   "Martha, you need to chill out.  You're working yourself to death trying to accomplish your goals, but you're missing out on what's really needful.  You're leaving me out of the process.  You're trying to act in your own strength, and it costs you your health, your energy, your testimony and your sanity."

Sound familiar?  Not only are we guilty of turning down the help of other people and then complaining, but we're also guilty of doing the same thing with the Lord.  "No thanks, God.  I've got this one."  Then, when everything falls apart, we cry, "Where are you, God?  How could you let this happen?"  Fickle, aren't we?

It's high time we accept the fact that we can't do it all and willingly accept the help of others, especially the Lord.  Just think, if Martha had asked for help instead of complaining, perhaps she would have finished sooner and with a better attitude.  Her acceptance of aid could have provided more time for worship.  Ours could do the same.  How about it?  Will you spend the day in frustration and complaints or in acceptance and worship?

Choose wisely, for much depends on it.


No comments: