Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Who Do You Think I Am? - Our King

Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. - Psalm 2:6

What a fitting situation that the first title of the Lord we come across in the book of Psalms is "King."  The online dictionary defines the word "king" like this:  the male ruler of an independent state, especially one who inherits the position by right of birth.

Two things about that definition strike me.  First off, the word "ruler" gives way to the idea that the king is the One who is in charge.  Everyone under His authority answers to Him whether they want to or not.  He is the big boss.  There is none greater.  He makes the decisions.  He enforces the laws.  He is the final judge of all things.  He rules.  He is in control.

I don't know about you, but I already feel better.  Why?  Because God is not only the king of man, but He is king over all situations and circumstances.  He controls it all.  The laws of nature.  The laws of physics.  The heart of man.  The behavior of beasts.  Not a single thing happens on this earth that He is unaware of.  He knows, and He allows things according to His will.  Though things may be out of our hands or beyond our abilities to cope with, they are never beyond His.  Hallelujah!

Second, in the definition of a king, I notice the phrase, "who inherits the position by right of birth."  Jesus is the only begotten Son of God.  He was born to be King, and believe it or not, one day, those of us who are saved will get to reign with Him, as kings and priests (Revelation 1:6, 5:10).  We are royalty by birth.  We were born again into the family of God the moment we accepted Christ as our Savior.  We entered into the royal line.

The old saying goes "It pays to know someone in high places."  So true!  And I know the Highest of them all.  He is the King of kings and Lord of lords, and I can rest in Him knowing that He is good, just, fair, right and attentive.  He is my King!  Is He yours?

Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. - John 18:37


No comments: