Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bored?


We recently had one of Jason's fellow employees over for dinner. This employee was one of the students in the first K-4 class I taught MANY years ago. Do you have any idea how old it makes me feel for my 4-year-old to now be working with my husband? Anyway, I digress.

During dinner, this employee asked me, "Do you ever get bored just sitting around here all day?" I thought he was joking and replied in kind. "Yeah, sure, all the time." He turned to Jason and asked, "Is she being sarcastic?" It was at that point I realized he was asking a serious question. He truly thought I was bored. I looked at him with all sincerity and said, "I would love to be bored once in a while." He seemed confused. Evidently, he has no idea what a day in my life holds. Between writing, blogs, reviews, housework, website work, dog care, exercise, teaching, piano lessons, and church responsibilities, I barely find time to breathe, let alone be bored.

Please don't misunderstand. I love my job, and I love my life. It's just very busy, and every now and then I long for some time to just sit and do nothing (if I can remember how). I guess my busy schedule contributes to the difficulty I find in being still and resting in God's presence. There's too much to do. Who has time to be still?

But when I take the time, I realize how much more I can accomplish. I feel renewed and refreshed. I feel strengthened and ready to face the tasks ahead. On the contrary, when I rush through the day intent on conquering my "to do" list, I run into problem after problem. In my hurry, I forget to call on God. I neglect the time I need to spend with Him. It's like trying to run a car on no gas. It just doesn't work.

How are you doing today? Are you fueled up and ready to go or are you struggling along in your own strength? Take some time out and renew yourself in God's presence. I know it doesn't make sense to our finite minds that if we take time out, we'll gain more in return, but that's how it works with God. Do you want to get more accomplished today? Stop. Rest. Refresh.

Be still and know that I am God. - Psalm 46:10

No comments: