Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Chasing Peace


Peace.  It's a word (though not necessarily a concept) that is highly visible this time of year.  We see it in lights of red, blue and green.  It is neatly scrolled upon thousands of Christmas cards.  It graces our carols in phrases like "Peace on earth, goodwill to men" and "Sleep in heavenly peace."  But what is peace?  The online dictionary gives a five-fold answer.  Peace is. . .

1) a state of tranquility or quiet
2) freedom from oppressive thoughts or emotions
3) harmony in personal relations
4) a state or period of mutual concord between governments or nations
5) used interjectionally to ask for silence or calm or as a greeting or farewell

I've been praying for peace a lot lately.  Peace on earth would certainly be wonderful, but I'm afraid my motives have been more selfish.  My prayers have been focused more on the first two definitions: tranquility and freedom from oppressive thoughts and emotions.  Yes, it would seem that the most wonderful time of the year is not necessarily the most peaceful time of the year.  With shopping and dinners and caroling and cantatas and the list goes on, who has time to be tranquil or quiet?  And with the million things to do and places to be, whose mind isn't running around in circles?

In my Bible reading this morning, I came across a verse I've read a million times, but a particular phrase struck a chord in me and caused me to question, "How do you do that?" Psalm 34:14 says, Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.

Depart from evil. - That's pretty self-explanatory.  Run away from bad things.  Don't do evil.

Do good.  - Again, no real explanation needed here.

Seek peace. - Yes, I get that.  In fact, that's what I've been doing.  I've been praying for peace in my heart and seeking to find peace in the midst of the holiday craziness (as well as all the other craziness life throws our way.)

Pursue it. - Say what now?  Pursue peace?  What does that mean?  How do you chase after something that has no physical form?

That, my friends, is the question I pose to you today.  (I know, you thought I was going to tell you the answer, but I'm not going to make it that easy.)  I want you to meditate on this thought today and leave a comment when you have an answer.  What does it mean to you to pursue peace?  I can't wait to hear what you have to say.  And remember, your answer may be a help and encouragement to someone else, so please take a moment to give us your thoughts.

1 comment:

Peter Santaniello said...

Dana, I know that when I am blessed with the inspiring activities of the Christmas season, when the world looks to God for peace and goodwill, I see shopping and dinners and caroling and cantatas and the rest of the joyful activities of our lives as God's way of giving us a choice and path to find tranquility and quiet in all the other craziness life throws our way.

I feel we do not need a special time to be tranquil or quiet, to escape from the million things to do and places to be, when our minds can be led to be running around in circles. We need to know that peace is within them, and can be found in complete turmoil if we pursue it there.

Our peace is found when we pursue Christ in all we do, and trust him to turn the blessed activities we see as commotion and a block to peace into the joy of eternal live, and the ability to bring peace to others and ourselves by letting others see God through us. If others can't see our holiness, they won't see God.

Heb 12:14 [NIV]
Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.


But, if you feel you are doing all you can to seek the peace of God and have trouble finding in your everyday activities, take faith and believe it is there, and pursue it with the help of God:

Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

God bless you and your family, and your desire to find peace!