Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, February 6, 2009

Are You Playing the Second Fiddle

Yesterday I came across a quote that read, "It needs more skill than I can tell to play the second fiddle well." I found this very interesting.

Those of you who know me know that I love music. For upbeat, work music, I listen to Southern Gospel. But, during those times when I need to relax, I love listening to instrumental music. Two of my favorite pieces begin with a piano. The music is simple, yet lovely. However, in the middle of the song, the solemn tones of a cello appear. This combination usually moves me to tears. The two instruments are playing two different melodies, but they sound so beautiful together.

What amazes me is that when you look at the album cover, the name of the pianist (the one playing the MAIN instrument) is bold and prominent. However, the name of the celloist (the one playing the "second fiddle") is difficult to find. The song would have lost much of its beauty without the second instrument, yet little recognition is given to the one who added such harmony to the music.

Life is the same way. In following the Lord's leadership, we often find ourselves completing tasks that add beauty or harmony to someone else's work and receiving little credit in return. On the surface, this seems so unfair, but if you really think about it, it makes sense. If we are really doing things for Jesus (the Main musician), we won't want the praise and recognition. After all, what are our efforts compared to the Master's?

Sometimes, we need to remember that life is not about us. It's about doing all things for the glory of the Lord. If that seems difficult (and I know it sometimes is), then just remember this. Jesus knows what we're doing, and He will reward us for our efforts. Isn't that all the recognition we need?

So, go on. Make some beautiful music today and give all the honor and glory to the Lord. He deserves it!

3 comments:

mizlamar said...

That was a beautiful thought Dana. Thanks for sharing it. The Lord used it to help me today.
Chastity Whittemore

Anonymous said...

I think it takes a great person to consistently play 2nd fiddle, do it well and not get upset over not getting any of the glory. I have known a few people like that, but not many. I wish I could say I was one of them. Lord, help me to play what, when, and where you would have me to play.

Anonymous said...

If you look behind every great you will find one or ones with out whom very little of what was great would have been done. We all need to think less about our self and more on how to help others. If this was to be done we would see many more great one.