Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

God Knows What We Need and When We Need It

Two weeks ago, I received the following comment about one of my blog postings:

Very interesting lesson (to include your Sunday School lesson). I am reminded, being a NASCAR enthusiast, of a story my uncle once told me. He said, "Drivers who spin out of control are told to focus their eyes to the center of the field. Do you know why?" "Think of the options," he said, "and know your mind and body will follow your eyes." I think more often than not I would hit the wall!! Thanks for the reminder to stay focused.

Jack
YBIChrist


Then, this morning, a friend of mine sent me an e-mail containing the following devotional:

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional-- Don't Watch the Wall

And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? -- Matthew 14:29-31

My friend Dan, a race car driver, was recently talking about a terrible accident in which a NASCAR legend was killed. The driver's car had been in first place. Slightly bumped, it appeared he over-corrected and then, in the next instant, crashed into the wall. I asked my friend Dan if that kind of thing happens often on the racing circuit. "Oh yes," he said. "Guys in their cars get into a spin, get bumped, and they see that wall coming! I'll tell you, there's one thing they're trained to do. They must not look at that wall. Their training tells them to keep their eyes on the track, and steer out of the spin. If they look at the wall, they'll freeze. Your body just reacts-you can't help it. The answer is to concentrate every nerve on steering toward that open space."

That answer really spoke to me. Because lately I've been experiencing an unusual amount of aches and pains, and it's had me thinking about... the wall. It's not going to get easier, Joni. Old age is coming faster than you realize, and boy, you'd better brace for an impact. As a result of my fears, I've "frozen up" at times, worrying about the future and its problems rather than the present and its opportunities.

*********

Paul writes, "Set your heart on things above," and the gospels say, "Lift up your head, for your salvation draws nigh." It's advice worth following... or you just might hit the wall.

Lord Jesus, sometimes my life situation makes me afraid. I feel panic rising, my mind locks up, and my fears loom like a large wall. As best I can today, Lord, I will fix my eyes on you, and not on my problems and fears.

Blessings, Joni and Friends


Isn't it awesome how God sent me the same message in the span of just a couple of weeks? He knows times have been hard recently. He knows that my faith has been weak. He knows that I've been getting my eyes off of Him and on "the wall." And in that knowledge, He sent me a reminder.

No, life is not easy, but God is still good! Let's keep our eyes on Him, and He will see us safely home.

No comments: