Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, May 11, 2009

How Firm a Foundation?


So will I break down the wall that ye have daubed with untempered morter, and bring it down to the ground, so that the foundation thereof shall be discovered. - Ezekiel 13:14

In the above passage, the Lord is talking to Ezekiel about the lying prophets. I read this passage the other day in my daily Bible reading. I'll admit that since the book of Isaiah, I'm having a hard time understanding many of the different passages. The events jump from past to future, and while sometimes I can figure out the meaning of the verses, other times I'm just lost.

While I was reading this chapter, one phrase from verse 14 jumped out at me: so that the foundation thereof shall be discovered. That phrase alone seemed to answer a lot of the questions I have been asking.

As many of you know, it has been a rough few months. Between job loss, car accidents, home repairs, etc., life has been very discouraging. I kept telling myself that God has it all under control and that He has our best interest at heart. As soon as my spirit would lift a little, something else would go wrong to throw me right back down. After a while, I felt like I was losing the strength and courage to even get back up.

I've cried to the Lord. I've wondered if this was a trial from the devil or simply the Lord trying to get my attention to lead me in a new direction. I'm still not completely sure which it is. But, that phrase seemed to speak to me. I may not know where the trouble is coming from, but I think I know why it is coming. I'm being tested so that my foundation might be discovered. How firm is my foundation? Am I truly standing on the Solid Rock?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting my salvation. I'm saved, and I know it. The question is not have I trusted to Jesus to save me but am I trusting Him daily with the events of my life. When the money is gone, the job is lost, the cars are wrecked, the house is falling apart, what's left? What do others see? Do they see a weak faith and a crushed spirit? Or, do they see a weary Christian singing praises to the Lord through the tears? How firm is my foundation? Unfortunately, it's not as firm as it should be. Maybe, that's why the testing is still going on. Maybe God is waiting for me to pass the test. (I always did hate tests!)

I don't have all the answers, but I know Someone who does. All I can do is trust in Him to see me through. After all, He's the only One who can!


No comments: