Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, October 23, 2009

I Need a Vacation


The weather has been SO beautiful this week. Yesterday, I just couldn't help myself. I had to get out of the house. I needed to soak up some of that sweet sunshine and breathe some of that fresh air. I decided to take the dogs to the lake. It was wonderful.

There was no one there, so we had the entire place to ourselves. This allowed me to give the dogs a little freedom. I set up my chair and did a little work. Mitch explored every nook and cranny and chased every bird, bee, frog, leaf, and anything else that moved. Tippy alternated between digging holes, taking a nap, and rummaging through my backpack to see if I had any food. All in all, it was a great day! In fact, it was so nice that I hated to leave. It was almost like I was in a different world. I didn't want to come back and face the reality. That "dream world" was MUCH nicer! But there were chores to do and tutoring to accomplish, so I left my haven and returned to my hectic life.

As I look back on it, I think of that time as a mini-vacation. We need those sometimes, you know? Sometimes we just need to get away. Spending time with the Lord is another way to accomplish that. Have you ever noticed how energized and refreshed you feel when you've spent quality time with the Lord? I don't know about you, but I can tell a big difference between the times I rush through my devotions just so that I can say that I did them and the times that I really take part and enjoy my time with God. There's a peace that can't be found anywhere else. . .not even at a secluded lake.

Life is crazy. Life is hectic. Life is tiring. Need a mini-vacation? Set apart an hour today, and spend it with the Lord. Put all other thoughts and obligations aside and just focus on being with Him. I promise you won't regret it!

No comments: