Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Greatest Deal of All Time


Last Friday, millions of shoppers left their homes in the middle of the night in search of the greatest deals. Many stood out in the rain and cold for hours as they waited for the shops to open. They braved the cold, the traffic, and the crowds in an effort to save money on this year's Christmas shopping.

I used to be one of those people, but not anymore. I have learned the joy of online shopping with free shipping, and I'll never go back to "the old way." Yes, while millions were freezing their bottoms off, I was sitting in bed reading an e-book. I was warm. I was comfortable. I was happy. For those who enjoy the thrill of the day, that's fine. I won't begrudge them that, but I prefer to stay in my warm bed.

I wonder, though, if sometimes we get so worked up about the latest and greatest deal that we forget the true "greatest" deal. What deal am I talking about? Salvation, of course. We didn't have to stand in line to get it. There wasn't a limited supply. We didn't have to get up early. We didn't have to fight the crowds. And best yet, we didn't need a credit card. Salvation is a precious gift, and while it didn't cost us a thing, let us not forget that it cost Jesus His life. Yes, the greatest deal of all time was when we traded our filthy rags of sin for those holy white robes of atonement. We gave Jesus our guilt and shame, and in return He gave us a home in Heaven. That's a deal you won't find in the Black Friday ads!

No comments: