Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, December 3, 2010

Would You Like Some Cheese With That Whine?


A few days ago, my computer froze up. . . again! The really bad part is that I was at the end of the process of creating a Christmas gift on a website at the time that the computer froze up. I hadn't come to the place yet where I could save my work. I had spent the entire day on a project that was lost. I shut down my computer, reloaded it, went back to the website, and behold, nothing!!!! To say I was upset would be an understatement. I was livid!!! I whined. I cried. I fussed and complained. When Jason called, I vented my frustration to him. Believe it or not, my friends, I had a very BAD attitude, and frankly, I didn't want to let it go.

The next day, I logged on to the website to start the process over. I was determined to not get mad this time. No matter what, I was going to keep my cool. As my page came up, there was my project sitting there just as pretty as you please. I opened it up, and it was all there. All I had to do was put in the finishing touches. So what was my response? I said a quick, "Thank you, Lord" and went on with my work. Oh, and I did mention to Jason that somehow my work had been saved after all.

What is wrong with this picture? When things didn't go my way, I acted in anger, frustration, and bitterness. I let everyone know of my predicament. I complained and threw myself a royal pity party. However, when things did go my way, I shrugged it off as though it's just the way life is supposed to be. Where was the praise? Where was the rejoicing? Where was the true thanksgiving instead of the obligatory "thank you, Lord"?

Do you find it easier to complain than to rejoice? To be mad instead of happy? To rant and rave instead of pray and praise? Why is that? Why don't we make a big deal out of the good things and not just the bad? Why, oh why?

I don't know about you, but my recent behavior was an eye-opener for me. There's nothing wrong with being angry as long as that anger doesn't lead to sinful actions or attitudes. However, if I'm not going to take notice when things go right, I have no right to notice when things go wrong. In other words, I need to whine a lot less and praise a lot more. I have so much to praise Him for that it shouldn't leave me any time to complain.

Will you join me, or would you like some cheese with your whine?

No comments: