Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Seize the Day

My first thoughts this morning were not "What a beautiful day!"  My first comment was not "Thank you, Lord, for a good night's sleep."  My first thought was not "Isn't it wonderful to be alive."  I wish I could claim to be that spiritual, but alas, I cannot.  And it's not because it's Monday.  I know Mondays get a bad stigma, but I have nothing against Mondays.  No, it wasn't the day that had me in a foul mood, but rather what I knew the day held.

Last week, I promised myself that I would get some things done and caught up this week.  Today marks the beginning of the week, and my "to-do" list for today alone is a mile long.  There are errands to run, articles to write and marketing to complete.  The laundry basket is overflowing.  There's a wedding shower to plan, dinner arrangements to be made, a meeting to attend.  And my house--well, let's just say I won't be winning any "Housekeeper of the Year" awards any time soon.

As I lay in bed this morning, I thought of all that needed to be done, and my heart sank.  I just want to sleep, I thought.  I'm so very tired.  Everyone needs to rest every now and then, right.  Why must every day be so hectic?  Truthfully, I wanted nothing more than to pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep.  I wanted to sleep away my worries and cares.  I wanted to dream rather than do.

But then I was reminded of the title of a book on my bookshelf:  Every Day Deserves a Chance.  I realized that I had used my attitude to doom the day before it had even begun.  I didn't give the day a chance to be a good day.  I took one look at my day's obligations and allowed my feelings of fatigue and stress to dictate the kind of day I was going to have.  I had the chance to make it a good day, and I blew it!  Instead of giving up on the day, I should have taken my thoughts and concerns to the Lord.  I could have showed Him my "to-do" list and explained how overwhelmed I was feeling.  I could have asked for strength and energy to conquer the items on my list.  I could have handled it so much better, but I didn't give the day a chance.

There's nothing I can do about today.  I started it off wrong, and I'm trying to make the best of it now.  That's all I can do.  But I have a goal for tomorrow.  Tomorrow morning, when I awake, I pray the Lord will bring to my mind Psalm 118: 24:  This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.  I hope I will then commit my day to the Lord and allow Him to guide me through each task.

Did you give today a chance?  Are you allowing your doubts or worries to dictate the kind of day you'll have?  Remember that every day is a gift from the Lord.  Let's not waste any!

No comments: