Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

God Cares About the Little Things

Jason and I have established the habit of having devotions together every evening after dinner.  The system isn't perfect, and between our two work schedules, it's not uncommon for us to miss a night or two.  But we're trying.  We know we both benefit by spending time together in the Word, and we've found that it has drawn us closer together and instigated some very enlightening conversations.

The trouble for us is finding a devotional guide that is worth our time.  So many are filled with fluff or seem to be targeted to the newly married or recently saved.  We've discovered a few that we really enjoyed and a few that we couldn't even finish because we were so bored with them.  Before finishing our last book (which was very good), we both decided that we would like to read through Oswald Chamber's book, My Utmost for His Highest.  The only problem was that we didn't have it.  I knew we had had a copy at one time, but what happened to it I do not know.

So what did we do?  We prayed about it.  After a quick online search, we discovered that even a used copy on eBay was going to cost more than we could afford to spend right then.  No, if we were going to obtain a copy, God would have to provide it dirt cheap!  Over the past month or so, we've been taking opportunities here and there to browse through thrift stores (oh, the horror of it all, he-he-he, I love thrift shopping!)  Anyway, we've browsed the books, and while we've found some other literary treasures, we weren't finding the one book we really wanted.  Still, we prayed.

During our last thrift store outing a few weeks ago, we were browsing the shelves and marveling at all the good books people had given away.  Jason and I started on opposite ends of the shelves, and we were just about to meet when he called me over to look at a particular book he had found.  I walked over, we discussed the book (and placed it in the cart if memory serves), then I turned back to return to my section.  As I turned, you will not believe what I saw.  There it was -- My Utmost for His Highest.  It was on a shelf that was perfectly level with my eyes, but more than that, it wasn't evenly filed along with the other books.  Instead, it stood on its end, title facing out, in front of all the other books.  Like it was trying to get my attention.  And it gets even better.  This was not a flimsy paperback book or even one that was bent and bruised from use and/or abuse.  No, it was a perfectly-bound hardback copy in excellent condition.

Yes, I squealed and did a little happy dance right there in the store.  Not just because I'd found the book we had been searching for, but because I realized then and there that God really does care about every minute facet of my life.  No matter how small or insignificant a want or need may seem to you, it's of paramount importance to God.  He wants to make us happy.  He wants to provide for us.  He wants to shower us with gifts of His love.  Even if that gift is a devotional book that ended up costing a whopping $1!

Jason and I have begun reading in our new book, and let me tell you, if you have never read this book or don't have a copy of your own, you may want to visit a few thrift stores.  It's worth the time and effort!  Plus, you may even find a few other goodies along the way.

Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows. - Luke 12:6-7

No comments: