Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Giving Thanks Rather Than Giving In

Today didn't start off all that well.  Let me give you a brief rundown of the first few events of my day:

I woke up with a throbbing pain in my head. . . again.
A few moments later, I discovered that the dishwasher had leaked all over the kitchen floor. . . again.
A few moments after that, I found out that Tippy, my beagle, has tapeworms. . . again.
Then, I was informed that someone had unsubscribed from my blog newsletter. . . again.

As I stood in the kitchen trying to process the events that had already taken place while I was still not even fully awake, my first thought was to give in to the temptation to crawl back in bed, pull the covers over my head and try again tomorrow.  At that moment, the day seemed to already be doomed to failure, so why bother trying to fight my way through it?  But in the midst of my despair, I heard that still, small voice whispering, "In everything give thanks."

To be honest, that's one of those things that is a lot easier said than done.  Everything?  Really?  The truth is that I didn't feel like giving thanks this morning.  I felt like giving in.  Not only was I not in the mood to face the day with rejoicing; I wasn't in the mood to face the day at all.  As far as I was concerned, I had already gotten a glimpse into what the day held and, frankly, I wasn't interested.  But the whisper persisted.  In fact, it grew louder and before long, it was put to music as I recalled hearing a song with the exact same words on the radio yesterday morning. (See today's Song of the Day post if you'd like to hear it.)

You see, the Lord knows me all too well.  He knows that once I get myself in a mood, it often takes great effort to get me out of it.  And He knows that after a while, I can tune out that little voice, no matter how loud it becomes.  Fortunately, He also knows that once I get a song in my head, it's nearly impossible for me to shake it off.  This song was the perfect weapon with which to attack my morning attitude.  The message was sound and exactly what His still, small voice was telling me.  And the tune was catchy, you know, the kind that sticks in your head.  Before long, I was so busy singing (and possibly even dancing a little) in the kitchen that I forgot about my bad mood.  It's hard to sing and dance while doing an Eeyore impression.

And now I find that I can do exactly what God was asking me to do this morning.  I can give thanks for the pain in my head, the water on the floor, the unsubscriber from my newsletter and the worms in Tippy's. . .well, you know.  Why?  Because God used them this morning to put a song on my heart--a song, mind you, that has been playing in my head all day long.  And with that song has come joy and gratitude.  But above all, God used those events this morning to prove to me just how much He knows me.  Yet despite all that He knows about me, He still loves me.  If that's not something to be thankful for, I don't know what is!

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. - I Thessalonians 5:18

No comments: