Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Whatever You Do, Don't Let Go

Last Saturday, we were finally able to get our Christmas tree.  The rain poured heavily during the morning hours, and we feared we'd have to wait another week, but in the afternoon, the rain stopped for a little while.  So, we hurried out to our favorite tree farm and picked up a lovely Blue Ice tree.  In fact, I think it was the quickest we had ever decided on a tree, but we both agreed it was perfect.  Not only that, but setting it up at the house went as smoothly as I ever remember.  We were done in no time, but since we had other things to do that evening, we decided to wait until later to decorate.   I finally got around to it yesterday.

As usual, I started with the blue and white lights--a dazzling addition to a Blue Ice tree.  After that, I began with the ornaments, saving for last the box of fragile snowmen and Santa Claus ornaments that we had received as a gift many years ago.  Despite the two dogs' helping paws, things were going quite smoothly. . . until I dropped one of the fragile ornaments which crashed into a million pieces as it hit the hardwood floor.  Thankfully, it was a Santa Claus rather than a snowman. (I like snowmen a lot!)  But, still, I was upset by the minor catastrophe.

As I cleaned up the mess, I tried to figure out what happened.  Did it slip from my grasp?  Was I not holding it as tightly as I thought?  Did the hook come loose from the ornament?  Did I have another one of my arm spasms?  What in the world happened to cause me to drop that poor Santa?  I honestly don't know.  All I know is that he fell. . .and all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Santa back together again.  (I hope this doesn't mean that I'm getting coal in my stocking this year!)

Seriously, as I thought about my broken Santa, I was both saddened and so very thankful.  Saddened because I'd ruined a beautiful ornament and made a big mess in the process.  Thankful because I realized that I'll never share that poor Santa's fate, for the hands that hold me are strong and secure.  They will never let go.  I can never slip from my Savior's grasp.  I am held tight and never need fear falling and crashing into a million pieces.  I am safe in my Lord's hands.  Here are just a few verses that remind me that I'm in good hands:

For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the Lord upholdeth the righteous. - Psalm 37:17

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand. - Psalm 37:32-24


 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. - Psalm 63:8


 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. - Isaiah 41:10

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. - John 10:28-29

No matter what you may be facing today or how fragile you may feel, take comfort in the fact that if you are one of God's children, you are safe and secure in His strong grasp.  He will not let you go.  He will not allow you to fall to pieces.  You are sheltered and cherished.  There is no doubt He is holding onto you.  The question is, are you holding on to Him?

2 comments:

Debbie M said...

Loved your post and the lesson: Never let go of God. It is interesting that sometimes we have to let go of other things to grab hold of God!

Dana Rongione said...

Thank you, Debbie. Yes, it's true. We often have to let go of other things in order to hold on to God, and that can often be difficult. Fortunately, even in that, He gives us strength!