Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, March 2, 2015

Things That Make You Go "Huh?"

While reading through the book of John, I noticed an underlying theme that has the tendency to give me a headache when I think about it too hard.  We know that Jesus is God and that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit exist as three in one.  That alone makes my head throb, but I've come to accept that it is what it is even though I don't understand it.  But what should I make of the following verses?

 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. - John 5:30

For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. - John 6:38


Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. - John 7:16-18



Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. - John 8:28



Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. - John 8:42



I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. - John 9:10

For the sake of time, I'll stop there, but there are many more examples like these.  Do you notice the trend?  In each of these passages, Jesus is making a clear distinction between His will and His Father's will.  But since Jesus is God (i.e. the Son is the Father), wouldn't their wills be one and the same?  Is it possible for Jesus to have a different will than God the Father?  Or is it possible Jesus was simply trying to explain a mind-numbing situation to mankind in terms that they would understand?  Since Jesus was in human form at this point in time, perhaps He was making sure that man understood that the fragility of His humanity had not changed His directive--to seek and save the lost.  I really don't have a clue.

I do know that God's Word is true and flawless.  I am not, by any means, trying to imply that these verses indicate an error or contradiction in Scripture.  I am merely trying to get a grasp on a concept that may be beyond human understanding.  If any of you have any thoughts on this topic, I'd love to hear them.  I'd hate to think I'm the only one who reads these verses and goes, "Huh?"

One thing these verses do make abundantly clear to me is the importance of following God's will.  If Jesus made a point of repeating His desire to do the Father's will, it is obvious that we should endeavor to do the same.  And in that, the Father will be pleased. . .and so will the Son.  Right?

Good grief!  Does anybody have any Tylenol?

No comments: