Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, October 2, 2015

Let's Handle It Together


Writing is a tricky business. Many people don't realize this, but a writing career involves much more than simply putting words to paper. One way I strive to become a better writer is by studying the work and schedule of well-established authors. But to be honest, after reading through their daily schedule, I'm left with more questions than inspiration.

Many of the writers' schedules I've studied include a set number of hours for actual writing, a set number of hours for revising old projects, a set number of hours for marketing, and a set number of hours for reading. That's a lot of hours. In fact, most of the schedules added up to 10-12 hours per day. When do these people eat or exercise or spend time with their families? Where in their schedules are the grocery store trips and church functions? I shake my head, realizing that I'll never get to the point these writers are at because I'm just not able (or willing) to devote that much time to it. Don't get me wrong. I love to write, but I can't neglect everything else in my life. I have other responsibilities.

Sometimes I look at other people and can't help but ask, "How do they do it all? How can they accomplish so much and still have time and energy to spare?" I know people whose lives seem to be running in so many directions at once it makes me dizzy, yet they still seem to be able to accomplish their goals. My schedule seems flexible and even easy compared to some, yet I struggle day after day to accomplish all the things on my "to-do list." It frustrates me because I feel like I should be able to do more.

Often, this frustration leads me to the Lord, where I bow my head and pray for more strength. "I need more time, Lord," I plead. "I need more endurance. I know I can get it all done. Other people do it. I know I can too." It is at this point the Lord speaks, and while His tone is gentle, His words are not.

"Child, how many times have I asked you not to compare yourself with others? You are no one but who I made you to be. You have chores and duties that are designed just for you. It does no good to compare your life or your workload with that of another. As far as time, you have the same twenty-four hours that everyone else has. How are you using it? Are you wasting time with worry and doubt? And concerning strength, I have all the strength you need right here. All you have to do is ask, but you're so busy just trying to get things done, you forget to allow me to be part of your work. You cannot do it on your own, and trying to do so will only lead you back to this place, frustrated and defeated. Trust me, child. I can get you through each day and help you to accomplish all your goals. Take my hand, and let's handle this day together, shall we?"

Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great. - Psalm 18:35

No comments: