Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, April 15, 2016

What Are You Talking About?

What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. - Matthew 10:27

When was the last time you told someone about your time with the Lord?  When was the last time you shared a Bible verse that the Lord brought to your attention or a Scriptural question that He raised in your mind?  Why do we, as Christians, seem to treat Jesus as the best-kept secret?  That's not what God wants, and the verse above proves it.

Wow, I already hear the excuses flowing.  "I'm not a writer and speaker like you.  I don't have those kinds of opportunities to share."  "I would share with my co-workers, but most of them aren't Christians, so they wouldn't understand."  "I'm afraid people would view my sharing as pride like I was trying to prove how much I know about the Bible."

Nice try, but I'm afraid there aren't any reasons that will excuse any of us from our duty as Christians--to share the gospel of Christ.  No, we aren't all pastors, teachers, writers or speakers, but that doesn't mean that we don't have the opportunity (and obligation) to tell others about Christ.  It seems we can talk about everything else under the sun.  The weather.  The news.  Politics.  Shopping.  Family.  But when someone turns the conversation to something about the Bible, boy, it gets quiet in a hurry.  Why is that?  What are we afraid of?

And I'm not just talking about witnessing to the lost, though, of course, that is a big part of it.  But, what's wrong with a group of Christian friends sitting around and chatting about the Bible?  Perhaps comparing opinions about things that the Bible doesn't make very clear.  Or maybe sharing something that God revealed to them in their Bible study time.  Outside of Sunday service.  Outside of church functions.  Just people, in their everyday lives, taking the opportunity to talk about the God of the Bible.

I fear we don't do it enough.  There are so many other things to occupy our minds that we lose sight of the one thing that should have the majority of our focus.  After all, didn't Jesus say, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God"?

Today, I challenge you to share God with the world around you.  At home.  In the office.  At the ball game.  Whatever.  Wherever.  Whenever.  Tell someone what God has done for you, whether that be your salvation experience or how God blessed you with the ideal parking place.  Don't keep God's grace and greatness a secret.  Let it be known to any and all who will listen!

No comments: