Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, May 30, 2016

The End Is Nigh

Today is a very special day.  No, it's not a holiday or even my birthday.  It's the day I plan to write the last chapter of my newest book, The Merlin Missions, Book 1.  I don't know what it is about this particular book, but it has brought about more excitement and more frustration than any other writing project I've ever done.  I have researched until I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head.  I have struggled to find the perfect blend of fact and fiction, careful not to abuse God's Word in any way, shape or form.  The project has brought about moments of elation, as well as its fair share of tears.  But now, all I feel is joy and delight.  I'm so near the end that I can taste it, and that excites me.

Of course, when I say that I'm near the end, that is not entirely accurate.  What I mean to say is that I'm near the end of the rough draft, after which there will be polishing, putting in some tidbits I thought of along the way, editing, editing, oh, and more editing.  Then there's the formatting and publishing bit.  Yes, as a whole, the project still has a LONG way to go {huge sigh}, but as for this stage of the process, I am one day away from completion, and I admit I'm more excited about this book than any of my others.

You know, God is writing a story of His own, and it, too, is nearing completion.  Well, at least this phase of it is.  Can you imagine how excited He must be?  I envision Jesus sitting on the edge of His throne and looking down at the world below.  As the perilous times increase, I imagine Him turning to His Father who is seated beside Him and asking, "Is it time, Father?  May I get your children now?  It's getting pretty bad down there."  To which the Father replies, "Not yet, Son.  Just a little while longer.  I have a few finishing touches; then we'll be ready."

Hebrews 12:1-2 tells us, Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Did you catch that?  Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him.  I believe we are that joy, and I think He's waiting in Heaven like a child waits for Christmas morning--with eager anticipation and unspeakable excitement.  He can hardly wait for God to finish this phase of our story, much like how I feel about my current project but probably multiplied by infinity.

To think that Jesus is waiting for us with such anticipation is a blessing.  As much as we're longing for Heaven, how much more is Jesus wanting for us to be there with Him?  The good news is, I don't think He'll be waiting much longer.  The end is near, my friends, and I pray to God that you are ready to meet Him.

If you do not know Jesus as your Lord and Savior, please don't wait another day.  We may not have another day.  He could come for us at any time, and I do not want you to be left behind.  This is not a game or some cosmic joke.  Your eternity is at stake.  Choose Jesus today!  And if you need help, please feel free to contact me.  I would be thrilled to show you how you can make certain your story has a happy ending.

No comments: