Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, June 17, 2016

I Can't Wait!

For the past ten days, I've been on a strict detox diet.  No sugar.  No caffeine.  No gluten.  No dairy.  Basically, none of the four major food groups (at least in my book).  And when I say strict, I mean it's an all or nothing thing.  The purpose of this process is to rid the body of unwanted toxins and then to add things slowly back into the diet one by one to assess any potential allergies that can cause a number of symptoms in the body including digestive issues, headaches, sinus troubles, body aches, mind fog and much more.  If you stay faithful to the plan, after ten days all of these substances and their side effects have cleared the body, making you aware of how you should feel.  Then, when you add them back in, you can monitor any changes.  Do you feel better or worse?  Have any issues resurfaced?  It's a good system, but let me tell you, it isn't easy (especially when a kind friend from church brings you homemade cookies that break all the rules of the detox).

I can honestly say that one of the things that has kept me going and faithful is the anticipation of what I could feel like without things blocking up my system.  I've been dreaming about the "new me," and it's a glorious picture.  Though the process has been difficult, I know that the results will be worth it, so I've kept my mind on the results rather than on how much I dread the process.  And I'm happy to say that I've made it through the detox period without cheating once!

Another thing that helped me through was looking forward to enjoying my favorite foods again once I could add them back into my diet.  We tend to appreciate and savor things more when we haven't had them in a while, and trust me, ten days feels like a while!  But I know it's worth it.  The results will be worth all the times I wanted to quit.  They will be worth the tears and heartaches.  They will be worth the effort.  And as long as I keep my eyes on the goal, I think I'm going to be just fine.

Life is the same way.  As the old hymn goes, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue."  Living life can sometimes feel like my detox diet.  It's hard.  It's frustrating.  It makes us want to cry, quit and even swear (though I hope none of us give in to that temptation).  My point is, the journey is rough, and if we lose sight of our ultimate goal, we may not be able to find the strength to go on.

On the other side of this detox, I have the hope of better health--not perfect health--but better.  Think about what we have to look forward to on the other side of this life.  Glorified bodies.  Illuminated minds.  Mansions.  Streets of gold.  No more pain or death or crying.  Eternity.  And most of all, Jesus!  It's all there waiting for us, and we can have it just as soon as we're finished running our race.  If we keep that goal in view, maybe the days here on earth won't seem so long and trying.  So, feel free to keep your head in the clouds because that's where we're headed (if you know Jesus as your Savior).  Allow the anticipation of Heaven and all that awaits us in eternity to put a spring in your step and a smile on your face.  Focus on hope!

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. - II Peter 3:12-14

*Special note:  If you have not accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior, you have nothing to look forward to, for your future is a horror beyond explanation.  Jesus is coming soon to take God's children to Heaven, and if you're not one of them, you will be left behind, doomed to spend eternity in the Lake of Fire.  Please, don't wait another day to accept Christ as Lord and Savior.  He loves you.  He died for you.  He wants to spend eternity with you.  Don't delay, for time is short.  If you need help, please contact me.  I would be thrilled to introduce you to my Savior, Lord and Friend.
SaveSave

No comments: