Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Lord Shall Sustain Thee

Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. - Psalm 55:22

I came across this verse in my Bible reading this morning, and while the passage is certainly familiar, this morning it was different somehow. For starters, it was just the verse I needed to hear this morning as my mind has been weighed down with anxieties and cares of the world. But secondly, the word sustain jumped out at me, and I found myself wondering what exactly does sustain mean? Being the wordsmith I am, I decided to look it up, and what I found nearly blessed my socks off.

There are several definitions of the word sustain, but after weeding out those that were not applicable regarding this verse and those that were somewhat redundant, I was left with these three definitions:

1) to support, hold or bear up

2) to keep (a person, the mind, etc.) from giving way, as under trial or affliction

3) to provide for by furnishing means or funds

I don't know about you, but each of these definitions brings me hope and encouragement. Through them, I am reminded that when I cast my burdens upon the Lord, He will hold me up. He will not let me fall, fail or give up, no matter how difficult the trial. And as He has promised, He will meet my need. In light of these new definitions, this verse now holds so much more comfort than it did before because it reminds me that I am in God's hands, that He has a good plan for my life, and that He is my strength, song and salvation.  I'm reminded of the lyrics from an old hymn, "When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay."

Whatever you are facing today, I encourage you to cast your burdens on the Lord and trust that He will hold you up, keep you from giving way and provide for your every need. Don't allow yourself to be swayed by your feelings and emotions or by the enormity of the circumstances surrounding you. Yes, the problem may be big, but I assure you, God is bigger. And he will sustain you. Trust in that!

No comments: