Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Finding Your Purpose in Life -- Part Two

Yesterday, we began a discussion on how to find our purpose in life.  Our first point was that if God calls you to a particular task, He will supply the knowledge and education you need to perform it.  Today, I want to talk about skills and talents.

Did you know that there are professional musicians who have never taken a music lesson?  It's true.  It makes me sick, but it's true.  I took piano lessons for maybe eight years, and I can play well enough to make most people believe I actually know what I'm doing.  But, since I never completed my formal training, my skills are limited.  I can only play in certain keys and at certain levels.  I'm not comfortable playing something I've never had the chance to practice, and songs that have all those "weird chords" are not my friend!  I received the education, and while I do have some level of skill or talent, I don't have enough that I feel God wants me to be a professional musician.

My husband is a man of many talents and skills--most of which he has never been formally trained to do.  He amazes me with his ability to fix automobile issues, electrical problems, plumbing disasters and more.  His ingenuity knows no bounds.  He can engineer solutions that I would never dream of.  I cannot tell you how many times I've watched him and asked, "Where in the world did you learn to do all this stuff?"  God taught him.  God placed the "know-how" in him and gave him the understanding to apply that knowledge, just as he did with the men building the tabernacle.

Then wrought Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whom the Lord put wisdom and understanding to know how to work all manner of work for the service of the sanctuary, according to all that the Lord had commanded. And Moses called Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whose heart the Lord had put wisdom, even every one whose heart stirred him up to come unto the work to do it: - Exodus 36:1-2

God has given each of us many skills or talents.  Some are obvious (like playing an instrument) while others (like Jason's handyman skills) often go overlooked or taken for granted.  But we all have something!  Perhaps you're good with numbers, and God is calling you to work for a bank or maybe to be a church treasurer.  Maybe your skill is organization, and God has plans for you to head up the next fundraiser.  Examine your gifts and talents.  What things are you good at?  What things come to you easily?  It's likely that your purpose and calling lie within one of the skills.

I encourage you to take a few moments and jot down every skill or talent you have.  This is no time for modesty.  After all, this really isn't about us.  It's about what God has blessed us with.  Write down everything you can think of and then go back and rate them on the following scale:  Fair, Good, Very Good, Excellent.  Remember, this is not about bragging or being arrogant.  It's about pointing out and recognizing the talents God has given us.  After all, He didn't give us skills so we could squander them.  He gave them so they would be used for His honor and glory. I, for example, would rate my people skills as fair, my musical talents as good, my teaching/speaking skills as very good and my writing as excellent.

How about you?  What do you do well?  Finding the answer to that question will go a long way toward understanding your purpose in life.

No comments: