Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, February 2, 2009

God Is Working

We are living in dark days. Many are saying that things are as bad or worse than they were during the Great Depression. People are losing their jobs left and right. Families are losing their homes. The price of food and gas are on a continual rise, and the economy is in sad shape. People are scared! Of course, the media does their part to make sure that the entire country is in a state of panic. Things are looking grim.

During these times, it's easy to forget that God is in control. It seems as if God has forsaken us and left us to work things out for ourselves. But, we know that is not the case. I can't explain why God does some of the things He does, but I know that He knows best.

I was thinking about these things during my Bible reading this morning, and three little words jumped out. These three words are so simple, but they can bring such peace. One simple phrase reminds us that God is still on the throne, and no matter how dire the circumstances around us are, His plan will be fulfilled.

Yea, before the day was I am he; and there in none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it? (Isaiah 43:13)

In this passage, God is speaking. I realize that He is talking to Israel, but I think the message applies to us just the same. God says, "I will work." No "ifs," "ands," or "buts." God will work. In fact, He is working right now. He is doing something wonderful for His children, and our only job is to sit back in faith and watch things unfold.

Things may get worse before they get better, but God knows that. He has seen the beginning and the end. None of this is a surprise to Him. He's not sitting up in Heaven wringing His hands and wondering how He's going to make it all work. He has a plan, and He will see it fulfilled. Period! Isn't that a cause for celebration?

No comments: