Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, June 1, 2012

Never Enough

May I be honest with you?  I didn't feel so great this morning.  Physically, I was okay (not great, but okay).  But spiritually and emotionally, I felt like I was drowning in a pit of despair.  In my morning prayer time, I found myself at a loss for words.  I poured out my heart the best that I could, but in the end, I felt like all I could pray was "Help me, Lord."  The more I tried to put my feelings into words, the more I saw a common theme:  there's not enough.

There's not enough money in the bank account.
There's not enough time to get everything done that needs to be done.
There's not enough strength to accomplish the tasks of the day.
There's not enough discipline and motivation to perform the "yucky" duties, like cleaning the bathrooms or sticking with a diet plan.

Yes, the theme of "not enough" became very evident.  No wonder I'm so discouraged, I thought.  I'm like a car trying to run on empty.  It just doesn't work.  But then I remembered to whom I was praying.  I was talking to God. . . THE God. . . the God who has proven time and again that He is the God of enough.

Remember the children of Israel and the manna that fell daily to ensure they had enough?
Remember the widow of Zarephath who only had enough food for herself and her son's last meal?
Remember the little boy who offered his meager lunch of five loaves and two fish to feed thousands?
Remember tiny David as he faced the mighty giant?
Remember Peter when he pulled the nets of fishes to land after the boats pulled them to shore because they were too heavy to be lifted by all the disciples on board?
Remember Jairus who thought time had run out when he received the news that his daughter had died?

Oh yes, THAT GOD!  God specializes in making something out of nothing.  Where it seems things are lacking, He can multiply blessings.  The God of the Bible is the same God I serve today, and if He could provide for these others (which we know He could and did!), then He can certainly provide for me.  He can take my few dollars and make them stretch.  He can touch my body and give me the strength I need to accomplish the day's tasks.  He can help me to work more efficiently to maximize the amount I get done in a single hour.  He can fill my mind with His words and fill my heart with a renewed desire to serve Him in all things, thus giving me the motivation I need to see to the "undesirables". 

Not enough?  Am I crazy?  Sure, it may seem like there isn't enough time, strength, energy, motivation, money and so on, but the fact is this:  I've got God, and He's all I need! 

Hmm, I guess I have enough after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thought, I wish I could keep this in mind more often.

Dana Rongione said...

Yes, I wish I could keep it in my mind too. But the Bible never said our spiritual battle would be easy. . . and it certainly isn't!