Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, June 3, 2016

Your Work Is Not in Vain

A couple of days ago, I was thrilled to receive an email from one of my blog subscribers.  He told me that he had been following my blogs for a while now and that they had been encouraging to him.  He went on to say that he had finally accepted the Lord as his Savior and was urging his friends to do the same.  What a blessed reminder that God is still in the saving business!

The email also reminded me that our work here on earth is not in vain.  Whatever we do, whether it be encouraging the saints or reaching out to the lost, our efforts will be rewarded.  As God promised, His words will not return void.  We each have a purpose even when it may seem that our work goes unnoticed or unappreciated.  For that reason, we must not give up or give in.  God is working through us.

When I write a book, devotion or story, I have no idea who might read it.  My writing is available throughout the world thanks to the wonders of the Internet, so at any time, it could fall into the hands of anyone.  This thought keeps me going when the process is rough and the rejections are many.  With the hopes that my work will help someone in need or lead someone to Christ, I have the power to press on through many obstacles that would ordinarily have me throwing in the towel.  And God, in His great mercy, is even kind enough to send me evidence in the form of notes, emails, and comments that my effort is not in vain.  It is accomplishing the goal that He has for me, so while I may not be famous, I intend to keep being faithful, knowing that it's worth it!

I know what some of you are thinking.  Sure, it's easy for you to impact people's lives.  You're a writer.  You have a blog that is read around the world.  I'm nobody.  I don't have that kind of outreach.  I refer you back to yesterday's blog where we discussed Mary and Jesus' comment, "She hath done what she could."  God doesn't expect you to influence the same people as I do.  He knows where you are and what outreach you have.  He wants you to do what you can within your realm of influence.  Maybe you can't reach the lost in Nepal, but you can witness to the neighbor across the street or offer a shoulder to cry on to the co-worker whose husband just left her.  We all have something we can do.  Give a smile.  Send a card.  Bake a cake.  Do whatever it is that God has given you the heart and talent to do and know that your efforts are not in vain.

As for those of you who are thinking, Well, that sounds good and all, but I've been doing my part, and I just don't see God working at all, hang in there.  God is always working, even when we don't see it. If you are doing His will, He will bring about a good result in His time.  Remember, He is the God of possibilities.  He can reach the unreachable and save the despicable.  There is nothing that He can't do, and we know that He wants the best for His children and that He longs for all to come to repentance.  Don't lose hope.  Keep doing what you can, then allow God to do the rest.  I promise you, the work is not in vain!

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. - I Corinthians 15:58

No comments: