Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Never a Dull Moment

Yesterday, I visited Old Faithful. No, I'm not talking about the punctual geyser in Yellowstone National Park. I'm actually referring to my laundry basket. It seems to erupt just as faithfully. I don't get it. There are only two of us (well, two of us that wear clothing, although I'm beginning to suspect that the dogs play "dress up" every time Jason and I leave the house). How can the laundry basket always be full to the point of overflowing?

Unfortunately, the kitchen sink is the same way. No matter how many dishes I wash, there are always more to take their place. What? Do these things breed like rabbits?

As I tend to the "Old Faithfuls" in my life, I realize that our spiritual walk is very similar. Each time we think we've conquered a sin, it erupts in our lives again. Each time we think we've grown in Christ, we find ourselves acting like a spiritual toddler, throwing temper tantrums and whining to get our way. Just like my dishes and my laundry basket, no matter how many times I "conquer" the problem, new ones seem to always be on the ready to act as a replacement.

The truth is that unless my husband and I decide to stop wearing clothes (not a pretty picture), the laundry will never be finished. And, unless we decide to stop eating, there will always be dishes to wash. Even so, unless we stop walking our spiritual walk (which shouldn't be an option), there will always be new giants to face.

Does it mean that we haven't made progress? No, even though it may seem like it. But, what it really means is that we haven't quit. We're still running the race. We haven't given up on account of the obstacles. I know that sometimes our effort seems to be in vain, but one day, when we stand before the Lord and hear Him say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant," we'll discover that it was worth it all. So, go out today and conquer some geysers in your life!

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work.
II Corinthians 9:8

No comments: