Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bearing the Right Burdens


I heard an excellent message on Sunday night, and I would like to share some of it with you.

In this life, we face many burdens. A lot of those burdens are burdens that we were never intended to bear. For example, worry. I couldn't help but laugh when the preacher said that he was the type of person who worried even when everything was going right because he was sure that something bad was going to happen. I laughed because I can relate all too well. In fact, a lot of things yesterday dealt with worry. God gives us what we need when we need it, doesn't He?

Another type of burden that God doesn't want us to carry is the kind that comes from Satan. Man, he is good at throwing burdens on us. Isn't he? If you've read my book, "The Deadly Darts of the Devil," you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. He can take our feelings and emotions and twist them into something they were never meant to be. He can convince us that nobody cares, that we're all alone, that it's not even worth trying, etc. He burdens us with guilt, distraction, and so many other things.

There are a couple of burdens that we should bear daily. Those are the burden for lost souls and the burden to encourage fellow believers. It's easy to get so focused on our "to do" lists that we lose our burden for the things that really matter. We're here on this earth for a purpose. We need to tell the lost about Jesus. We need to encourage the saints who are troubled or disheartened. We have a job to do, and it helps to have those burdens to remind us what we need to do.

So, which burdens are you bearing today? The right ones or the wrong ones?

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: